1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-575A - - Any Opinions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stevedster, Feb 1, 2005.

1. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I know it has a good review but anyone who owns one got any feedback, will pick this up from RS as its only £100 later today barring any bad comments. let me know asap chaps, cheers.

2. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ive just got one, been very pleased with it so far, it pisses all over every other player ive had, dvds and divx look excellent on it. the only bad things i have to say about it is that it can take ages to load up and play discs and SACD output is through analogue ports only (i think thats the norm though)

3. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have one of these and I am looking to replace it as I watch films through component video progressive scan and unfortunately it suffers from 'jaggies' on PAL but not NTSC which is extremely frustrating.

It also suffers from long load times on certain discs, most notably all of the current Star Wars discs, other than that it's spot on which is why I am a bit loathe to replace it.

I just tried a Denon DVD1910 and I have to say it was a total letdown with grain and macroblocking all over the place so I am still searching for the right replacement.

If it's just via scart and you're not bothered by jaggies and edge flicker then go for it, at £100 it's a steal mate.

4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I've had mine a couple of weeks now. Massive improvement on my old Pioneer unit, much more detailed.
    The SACD and DVD-A is a bit pointless as frankly it's rubbish as a CD/SACD/DVD-A player, but for DVD it's a great buy.

5. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Well , just been down to RS on my lunch and got one of these babies for £100, thanks for all the advice an stuff guys, will see how she goes in tonight. Im sure will keep my going an will also match my new reciever that I am to get soon (also Pioneer) then i will wait around a year and get a new screen (waiting til the market settles down with all the HD stuff).

6. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,309
    cool,. please update on what you think of it, as i may get one at the weekend :)

7. longitude

longitude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very pleased with mine although it's not been without problems. I took the first one back due to it refusing to play past the layer change on every movie I tried. The replacement has been much better but it has stopped at the layer change on one disc. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it; maybe I've been very unlucky or a bad batch of machines.

8. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried upgrading the firmware?

9. longitude

longitude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to a support person at Pioneer who thought a firmware upgrade wouldn't make any difference but it must be worth a try.

10. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have had mine for a few months and its been very good, i think it handles layer changes very well, on some discs you dont even notice the change, where as on other there is a very slight pause, its much quicker than my old toshiba

11. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41

Well its the best 100 pounds i have spent ! a quality player for next to nothing in price, go get one !! i am impressed :thumbsup:

12. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It has a fantastic picture and is Good on Divx compatibility. However, it is one noisy so and so when playing disc, I can hear a pronounced 'swoosh' noise from the drive unit. Not quite in the wharfdale camp but nearly as loud.

13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,934
    In another thread you mention the DV470 you have is also noisy, if both your 470 and 575 are noisy then it sounds like you bought defective machines.

14. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think its me. I am really fussy and have problems with noise 'issues' from all kind of equipment. Sky+ runs with the lid off and the fan disconnected as I can stand its noise. PC has quietpc fans and cases all around. However to get back on topic. The pioneers have loud and noisy drive mechanisms when compared to other players such as the sony 955 (£120 dearer however) They do have an excellent picture, just built a bit on the flimsy side.

15. pp312

pp312

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is surprising as Hi Fi World's reviewer was seriously comparing it to the Naim CD 1 player in a number of important areas. In short, they were knocked out by its CD performance. Are you sure you've given it a chance in that area or did you just expect it to be rubbish?

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I was similarly surprised by the comment. I've tried SACD and DVD-A, as well as normal CD, and been very impressed. However I haven't tried them on a dedicated SACD machine for example, so don't have a reference. Either way I wouldn't have described performance as "rubbish". You do need a decent sub to get the best out of the machine - SACD/DVD-A are lightweight otherwise....PJ