1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-565A Low bass output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mij, Apr 10, 2004.

1. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    Hi, I have connected my Pioneer DV-565A DVD player to my Marantz SR5200 with both the digital & 6 analogue connectors, and I cannot get an acceptable level of bass via the analogue connectors.
    I have reduced the channel levels to -6db for the speakers and raised the subwoofer to +6db, but it still sounds as if the sub has been turned off whether I use the large or small speaker settings.

Using the digital connector everything is fine, but this is no good if I want to listen to SACD or DVD Audio disks.

Has anyone got a solution before I phone Pioneer?

I have done a search and apologise in advance if I have missed the answer.

Thanks
    Mij

BTW; I am using 6 Kef KHT 2005.2 speakers & 1 REL Quake.

2. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mij

I think this came up before (applies to 656 also), and the answer seems to be to set the speaker sizes to small in the player's speaker installation menu. Slightly annoying but it does the trick.

3. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    Hi alfablue, I have tried that, and although I have managed to increase the bass output it is still way too low.

I have just played a normal stereo CD and switched it from digital to analogue, and the drop in bass via the analogue connector is ridicously low.

mij

4. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh - er ... I hope someone with more experience will help here.

Also - try a search, this has been discussed, you may find an answer

5. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    I did a larger search, and it looks as if this is due to the player not really having a proper bass management.

I am very disappointed with this player as far as DVD-Audio & SACD are concerned, although it is very good with everything else.

mij

6. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mij

I am sorry it isn't up to scratch

I am wondering if something else is wrong. I am aware of the difference, but when I make the adjustments I find the sound is fine, I have a 656 and a Pioneer 812 receiver. What receiver do you use? I am very impresssed with performance. Have you set the sub crossover up high, have you decent interconnects (maybe try swapping them around), have you set the player to 5.1 channel area? (sorry - its obvious, I am sure it will be yes to all three) or maybe the analogue sub output is dodgy, or it's something to do with the receiver analogue inputs. I'm really hoping someone else can help.... come on guys!

I upgraded specifically for these formats so I wouldn't have settled if it was poor.

You might have a case for getting a refund as it's not doing what it claims to do (i.e. universal player).

7. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    Hi alfablue, I have tried all the above and my receiver is the Marantz SR5200.

I have improved the bass by adjusting the settings, but it is still not good.

I am going to phone Pioneer, but no doubt they will say that they have never heard of this problem and pass the buck.

mij

8. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    let us know how you get on, I would be interested in what they say (well, probably only me judging by interest in this thread). What store did you buy it from?

Someone may have experience of this with your receiver...but they won't look, or answer (I know ... it's Easter, only the saddo's on here at the moment).

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Unfortunatly this is a well known problem with this player.

I brought my one a couple of weeks ago, but i already knew about the prob before i brought it, as it was reported about on here and other forums after around a week of the player being released.

But luckly for me i use it through a Denon 3803 and i am able to change the channel levels for each input, so not a prob for me.

Unless you can change the levels per input on your amp i am afraid that you are stuffed and would need to change either the Amp or the player.

Its not what you wanted to hear, but this is how i get round it.

10. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    Thanks for that info chris, you are right I cannot change the levels for the inputs.
    Have you any links to this problem with an explanation?

Does anyone know of any other players that do not suffer this problem.

Thanks
    mij