1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-565A and Progressive scan...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dave.B, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Dave.B

Dave.B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, this is my 1st real post here, hopefully someone can help:
    I'm trying to get my Pioneer DV-565A to play in progressive scan mode through my Phillips 32PF5520D LCD.

Both say they support prog scan, so I've connected up the DVD player from it's component outs to the DVI input on the TV using the supplied lead and adaptor. I've also switched the DVD player's video output mode from "Interlace" to "Progressive".

I get a picture on the TV, but the quality is very disappointing, to say the least, and it's all offset downwards and to right.

Is this an NTSC/PAL related issue, or am I missing something more fundamental.

Cheers
    Dave

2. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Im not 100% sure on this, and if you do a search on the forum, you'll probably get a definitive answer, but if I remember correctly the 565 only supports NTSC prog scan, and not PAL progressive.

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Have you got another player you can try....
    Or maybe try your player on another TV...

LDR : is right and it only outputs progressive with NTSC.
    I've used mine on my 43" plasma and it's working fine for me, so looks like you either have a prob with your player or the TV does not like it.

4. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    If it's multi-region and you have a R1 disc, give that a go.

That way you'll no it's down to the NTSC ps only.

5. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had a 565 for a year or so. I had no problems playing back pal or ntsc source material using ps component.
    Im not sure where people get their ideas from but my 565 played pal reg2 dvds in progressive quite well. There was a noticeable improvement in quality on my tosh 36" when using ps component instead of my qed scart. I had it region free from new and technicaly it doesnt do pal, but it does. Im sorry I cant help with your problem though as I didnt have to do anything strange with mine. If I remember you have to set the scart output to composite though to get the component to work. Im sure youve figured that out though.
    Regards

6. Dave.B

Dave.B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for all the replies.
    I must admit that even after searching here and elsewhere, and reading the FAQ about different video signals, I'm still hugely confused by all this.

My player is not region-free - so I'm limited to R2 discs only - perhaps this is the problem.

Anyway, at the moment I'm watching 8-mile, and the picture quality via Component set to Progressive, is much better, but still the whole lot is offset downwards.

Weird huh?

I think I'm going to give up on this as the picture quality is perfect through (the single) RGB scart on the TV.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Dave

7. pierrev

pierrev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Page 57 of the manual suggests that Progressive only applies to NTSC disks - 'when tv system is set to auto or NTSC only: When set to Progressive PAL & NTSC discs are both output as progressive NTSC video' and then 'when tv system is set to PAL only : Progressive cannot be selected'
    I spent a few hours one night trying different permutations when I first got a projector and in the end left it at interlaced - I did get some strange displays when trying Progressive - sections of the pic disappearing and also lip sync issues - basically unwatcheable

component though, does give a much better pic than scart

Recently got a Samsung 950 for another room and cant really see much difference between interlaced and progressive anyway

8. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Quite right. PAL dvds are output as NTSC. If you have a display capable of NTSC ,as mine is - no problem.