Pioneer DV 545

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ice_cool, Nov 6, 2001.

1. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I've finally decided on the excellent Pioneer DV 545
    I want it to be multi region and RCE comp. and VCR disabled.
    I have found the following sites that do this. (all inc VAT & p&p)

dvdmagic.net £275
    techtronics.com £269.08
    leconcepts.com £279.99
    avland.co.uk £279.95

Only problem is who do i choose? Are all the mods carried out differently or the same??? Delivery ok???? :confused:

Techtronics seems to have lots of info and support and generally all people are satisfied by them, but delivery is usually not good.

Any opinions?????

Thanks
    :D

2. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Techtronics modded my Sony 725. They picked up and delivered the player without issue. Several friends and work colleagues have used the company too and have been satisfied.

No problems for me with them either.

:)

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got my modded Pioneer 535 (the 545's predecessor) from Techtronics. I took a gamble with the company though with their ridiculously bad customer service, because the modded players they supply are so good.

Never had a problem with my player and its now kinda old mod, even with RCE. I'd recommend Techtronic's products above any other, but not their service. If you decide on Techtronics, you'll have to accept that things could get a bit troublesome.

In some cases, troublesome to the point of court action.

Goodnight, and don't have nightmares.

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +657
    Got mine from 'Upgrade Heaven' ("Home Cinema Heaven" I think they are now called)

Can fault their price or their service.

The MOD works fine and the player is superb!

5. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering,

the spec for the pioneer dv 545 says it plays VCD, but does it also play SVCD????

Has anyone tried this???

Thanks

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I bought my 545 from avland at £279.99 and it was delivered on the following day.

They modify it by flashing the firmware using a PC and it seems to work perfectly and seamlessly having no problems with RCE discs either.

Ian

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    ice_cool,

Yes.. It most certainly does play SVCDs.. That was my primary reason for buying it!

I have been looking for a quality (non-budget) player which will play SVCDs for years. The 545 does a wonderful job.

It stll annoys me that you can only do 1x and 2x playback on (S)VCDs, where as my father-in-laws new Wharfdale will do upto 30x.. Why won't Pioneer start to look at reasonable FF/Rew speeds..

With regards to SVCD playback, the 545 seems very capable.. It will play standard (I.e with an MPEG2 directory) and non-standard (with an MPEGAV directory) SVCDs too.

I do have one concern.

Most of my SVCDs are 3 tracks of around 10-15 mins each and writen on 'Infinity' disk..

On a huge % of these disks, when I selected track 3, you could hear the laser try and try and try to get there (it made a nocking sound) and then would fail.

But, if you let the player start on track 1 and play right through, it would go right to the end.. It was just selecting track 3 which caused this.

At first I thought my player was faulty, but I went to a local shop which has the 444 and that did the same too.

This worried me a little (a lot), but I am 99% sure that this is caused by the fact that the Player just doesn't like 'infinity' media.

I copied one of the suspect disks to other types of media and it plays fine. Its just the Infinity disks which cause the problem.

What is interesting is that I also have loads of Music and MP3 disks on the same 'Infinity' media and the 545 does not have a problem with this either.... Its just SVCD!

Other than that, its fine.. The media I am using now seems to work perfectly and my SVCD play back is fine.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

8. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    Ice_Cool.

I should have asked.. Why have you decided on the 545 over the 444?

I went for a 545, but that was only because I wanted (needed) 2 SCARTs.

But the only other difference between the 2 is a better remote control and some analogue audio enhancements.

If you don't need any of those, the 444 is a bargin at around £200.

Upgrade heaven were actually surprised that I wanted a 545, as they feel that its a bit of a lemon.. They don't feel that it offers enought of an improvement over the 444 to justify the cost.

The actually confirmed that inside the 545 is effectivly a 444.. Even the firmware is the same!

Of course, if you need 2xSCARTs or better analogue audio, then the 545 is the best option.. But if you don't then the 444 might be worth considering.

9. nwpsys

nwpsys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jon,

What FF/Rwd speeds do you get for DVD on the 545 ?

Thanks,

Nige

10. TobyJ

TobyJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While we're on this subject, and if you'll excuse the ignorance, why 2 scart sockets?

Ok, one to the tv. What can the other be used for - is this to connect to set top boxes (I have cable digital at home, is this relevant)? The reason I ask is that I'm looking at the 545 or the 210E, 2 & 1 Scart respectively (or, do I go higher for the new Sony NS700 or NS900? but that's a separate question).

I'm aware this is an obvious question, but I feel I know plenty of things about more technical info, yet some of the basics have been lost in the details. Woods for trees and all that.

Ta.

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    2 SCARTs is for 'Pass-Thru'

Imagine that you have another RGB device connected to the RGB input of your TV, say a video game.

You can install the DVD so that it plugs into the back of the TV, but then connect the other RGB device to the back of the DVD.

When the DVD is on, you see an RGB picture on the TV

Then the DVD is in standby, a bunch of relays close and connect the 2 SCARTs together. Now you will get an RGB picture from your other device.

Before, I had my 545, I used a SCART switch, so that I could share the RGB socket between my DVD and Dreamcast.

Now I just connect the Dreamcast (actually a PS2 now) to the back of the DVD.

Its nice to have, but not esential.

12. TobyJ

TobyJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jon.

Exactly what I was looking for. Cheers.

13. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered from avland.co.uk who price matched the player with techtronics. (269.95) inc vat & p&p.

A useful thing was that there was a telephone number that you could call if something went wrong. Many on line sites only deal with emails.

Ordered it Thursday night, but as it was past 4pm, they could only dispatch it on Friday. Due to this, they said i would recieve it on Monday at the earliest. It turned up at 10am Tuesday morning using business post. I could check on line (business-post.com) with my consignment number to see what was going on.

I received it with lots of wrapping and bubble wrap (don't you just love the stuff - (pop!))

Checked it. It was all there. Easy to set up. Amusing to find that the packaging was so large for such a small player :) (good though as it has less chance to be damaged!).

Invoice and receipt in order (1 years warranty). Very pleased with the player and avland. :D

Compared to other companies, i would trust avland again. But a company is only really good if something goes really wrong with your order, and you find out how they deal with it.

Take techtronics for instance!

Gonna hook it up to my digibox and dvd to test the rgb pass through (if you listen when you turn it off, a few relays kick in to switch the scart trough put from av1 to av2)

Anyways, i'm waffling on as i'm excited over the sexy player, so i'll stop.

I'd like to know if someone has had any problems with avland though.

Later
    :p

14. pglayfield

pglayfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of looking for my first DVD player and must confess to being a bit ignorant on the subject.

I was looking at the DV 545 and am interested that you can hack it for multi region.

Can someone explain what RCE Comp. and VCR disabled actually mean. I could have a good quess but that would be no fun.

I take it that when modded by the supllier the warranty is still valid, or am I also naive

Thanks

Paul

15. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a mofified 545 from av land for £269.95

This means it plays all regions automatically. Auto means you don't have to do it manually. i.e. use the remote to access the setup menu and change it.

VCR mode means you can record dvds onto a vcr. Normally when you connect a vcr to the dvd and try to record, there is a signal that scrambles the information being sent from the dvd to the vcr. Therefore the picture you record is all fuzzy. The mod gets rid of this, so you can record dvds to vcr

RCE comp. Means that it can play RCE encoded region 1 dvds. This can sometimes cause problems with auto region players.

1 years warranty from the suppliers (av land). Standard from most suppliers. Even if modified or not.

Great dvd player, sexy and loads of functions, great for the price.

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I bought my 545 from avland but forgot to ask them to price match so paid a tenner more than you.

They are the internet arm of Hifi Excellence of Coventry which is where I auditioned and bought my Def Tech speakers so they have a high street presence if you ever feel the need to chuck your duff equipment through their window.

I have never had any problems with anything that I have purchased through the shop or over the net.

Ian

17. pglayfield

pglayfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ice cool

that answers all my worries

AVland here I come

Paul

18. alexh

alexh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just a bit worked up that they all charge ANYTHING for modifying the 545.

All they do is connect a PC to the back of the machine, click go, a few moments later, put it back in the box.... It's not like any of them spent the time and money to develop the software or the hack :(

Later

Alex