1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-525

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sy278, May 2, 2005.

1. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Guys,

I currently have a Pioneer 525 (Multiregion by techtronics), recently I have noticed a few problems starting to arise, in that it occasionaly completely freezes up in the middle of playback, once or twice to the point it wouldnt accept any commands, and had to unplug it for 5 minutues to get it to reboot, as it refused to even open the DVD drawer.

So I am now thinking of upgrading it, I was looking at the 575, any comments or suggestions would be very welcome. Also if anyone else has had these problems and has possibly found a solution that would be great.

If upgrading max would probably be between £200 and £250

Cheers

:)

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I upgraded from the Techtronics 525 to the 575.

First of all, I thought the 525 was an excellent machine. It never missed a beat, and played everything faultlessly - hence the 575 had a tough act to follow.

However, I do rate the 575 as a superior machine. The main reason I upgraded was to get component out/progressive scan and the 575 doesn't disappoint. The 575 also remembers the disc position without any fiddling which is a nice, and it plays SACD/DVD-A if you want to give that a try. The only negative is that it doesn't look quite as "upmarket" as the 525.

Hope this helps...PJ

3. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks, have been looking at the 575 from richer sounds at £100 Multi-region, sounds like a good deal, though I noticed elsewhere that apparently it is about to be replaced by the 585, can anyone confirm this?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    585 is on the cards by the looks of it, cosmetically looks a bit different and it's a bit smaller / lighter (and the 575 is no heavyweight). I don't think there's much reason to hang on for it to be honest...PJ

5. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    upgraded from our 525 to a momitsu V880N. 525 was an excellent machine, with a very impressive pq, although it was having problems playing some of the new dvd's with picture drop-outs etc (Starwars Trilogy etc)

Gary

6. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks guys, think ill go with the 575, loved the 525 was a brilliant machine.

(Strange not had any probs play the SW trilogy, seems though from reading about that around 5-6 years most people seem to start having minor glitches with it, one thing I have noticed is it hates backups!)

7. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,277
    My 525 was an excellent machine, and it played every (commercial) disc I put in it. It got retired a year ago after five years' service because I got a plasma, and liking Pioneer I bought a DV-470 as a natural replacement. I wish I'd never bothered! The 470 would freeze on certain discs, refuse to play others, and sometimes the sound would drop out completely or get really messed up (think Dalek style). What a piece of crap. I sold it and bought a Sony NS-930, which, twitchy MPEG decoding aside, is a cracking machine.

Why don't Pioneer make a decent mid-range machine?