Pioneer DV-444 won't play DVDs, only audio CDs

HerbCSO

Standard Member
Reaction score
It plays Audio CDs just fine, but DVDs won't play anymore. A couple of times when we inserted a DVD, it made a pretty horrible grinding noise and then spit it out again. I have since opened the DVD player to check it out - all moving parts look to be properly greased, the DVD mechanism is fine from what I can see. It can raise and lower the laser assembly without problems, the eject mechanism works fine and the laser diode is functional as well (plays audio CDs, after all... ;] ). I can even see the laser diode moving up and down when it tries to focus. However, when a DVD is inserted there is now some sort of fine clicking noise coming from someplace that I cannot identify. It tries to read the DVD, moves back and forth a couple of times, the DVD spins up, but gets spit out again after a few seconds.

I've cleaned the laser lens directly (while I had it disassembled) with a high-quality photo lens cleaner tissue and solution, but that seems to have made no difference.

No idea what's wrong with it...?

:lease:

Anybody have any idea what could be wrong? Let me know if I haven't posted sufficient information, be glad to post more - I just don't know what else you might need.

Also, if you think this is a lost cause and I should just go out and buy a new DVD player (I've seen HD 1080p upscaling ones with HDMI connection from Philips for $50!), just let me know as well - I just hate to throw out such a good machine...

Thanks!

It probebly will not help but have you tried a reset?
In OFF mode press and hold down the STOP button and then press STANDBY/ON.
It's the buttons on the player it self to be used!

But probebly the lazer is not working for DVD's any more!

Thanks for the tip, I was not aware of that. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do anything. I tried it both without a DVD and with one inserted, still the same result - DVD won't play.

I think you're right and the laser just isn't working for DVDs anymore. The machine is almost 8 years old, so I guess it's had a good run... ;]

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom