1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-370 DVD Player. Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by monkey_boy, May 27, 2004.

1. monkey_boy

monkey_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered a Pioneer DV-370 DVD Player for my Toshiba 57WH36 because it is a new model and I found it for just £80. I'll get it soon but I have ha no experience with progressive scan DVD players before so I wouldn't really be able to tell if it’s a good buy as I have nothing to compare it to. I know it’s not going to be as good as a £400 player but I will upgrade it in a few months anyway. I was just wondering if anyone else has got/seen one and how it compares to the other DVD players about.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    It won't be as good as a £400 player. Full stop.
    It should however (on the basis that the 350 and the 360 were both crackers) be a well built and great performing unit with a smooth, colourful picture and a sensible operating system. On a telly of your size you might find that the prog scan image is just a bit soft compared to a (considerably) more expensive unit.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed though, you may even be suprised at how little is in it when you do upgrade.

3. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Perhaps I should have mentioned in the other thread that the Iscan Pro whose de-interlacing I'm comparing everything else to originally cost me £750 new, even today it costs £400 new, it has more or less the same chip as the Denon, so that's why I'm not easily satisfied with this aspect of DVD performance. I'm sure most people seeing any cheap DVD player connected to your TV will think the picture quality is outstanding and won't even notice the occasional artifact. It's probably better for your bank balance to remain ignorant. (Even I managed to watch some films without noticing any with the non-progressive Toshiba SD330 directly connected.)

These days I am more careful with my money than I was when I bought the Iscan, that's one reason why I'm interested in the cheaper players. (It also helps that I ought to be able to rely on the Iscan for de-interlacing, though as I said this hasn't worked out quite as well as I hoped with the SD330.)