1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV- 360 or Toshiba SD330?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by one_jedi, Jun 21, 2003.

1. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These players, Pioneer DV- 360, Sony DVPNS330 and Toshiba SD330 are nearly the same price from amazon.co.uk. Which would people reccomend. I know it seems the Toshiba is getting rave reviews but the Pioneer has Pal-60, which I like as when I play NTSC disks my TV puts out a really bright picture and I have to turn down the colour. So whats the pro's and con's of these 3 players? Is there really that much difference?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    What about the Panasonic S75?

It's a pretty good player, but I don't know if it does PAL60. You can get it for around £120 MR.

Gary.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Its wierd but in the usa Panasonic dvd players are just about the biggest sellers but here in europe they don't seem to be so highly regarded but instead Pioneer and Toshiba get the rave reviews. Both the Pioneer and Toshiba are made for them I believe in china on the cheap so to speak but that doesn't stop them being great players its just build quality may not be quite as good as the sony but then again perhaps sony's are made there now.

4. Gasman2

Gasman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also looking at the Tosh or Pioneer - now both about £70 multi regional - anyone got any recommendations for which is better?

Thanks for your help!

G A S

5. Gasman2

Gasman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen the review of the Pioneer 360 in What Video Widescreen TV this month? I can't find a copy anywhere and can't access the web version of the review yet.

Any comments gratefully received!!

Thanks

G A S

6. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Cant compare between the tosh and Pioneer as I have never used the Tosh.
    However, I just got a Pioneer DV360 Multi Region Silver from Richer Sounds for £59.99 after getting them to do a Price Beat on the Amazon price of £69.99

I bought the DV360 to replace a Cyberhome M512 and am very impressed with everything about the DV360. The only minor flaw is that the built in JPEG viewer is a bit slow at loading up JPEGs.
    Other than I love it.

With regards the above review in What Video Widescreen TV the summary page does show that it was awarded 5/5 by the magazine.

7. Gasman2

Gasman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments - I am slowly coming down in favour of the Pioneer - but not really sure why!! Perhaps just the apparent closeness of the performance and so may as well go with the cheaper if little else to set them appart.

Has anyone else seen the full review of the Pioneer 360?

Cheers

G A S

8. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    See below for a recent review of the Pioneer 464 - I have read two people stating that the 464 and 360 are the same player except for the exterior styling (one of the posted claimed he had phoned Pioneer and they confirmed they were the same internally). Certainly doing a Compare between the two models on the Pioneer website does appear to confirm this.

http://www.whatvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2991

9. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've got the previous model - the DV-350 and have had no problems with it. Great performance for the money. I would think the 360 would be much the same.

10. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I have a previous model of the Toshiba the 220. I have just upgraded my tv to a 36" PD30 and was all set to buy a S75. However for the money I have not found a player to match the 220 on DVD or cd quality and I tested players costing a hell of a lot more money. So I would say the tosh 330.

11. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just my opinion, but I got a Panasonic RV32EBS . Sent it back. Picture appeared washed out to me. Got a toshiba 330. It was fussy with DVD-r and had a really noisy drive mechanism. It went back. Got the philips 625. Its picture was great the best of all, but it had major problems with playback of DVDr. juddering etc. It went back. Next tried a JVC XV-N33. It was duff with vcd's. It went back.

So at the moment I have settled on the pioneer 464s. (it is the same as the dv-360) Have used it for the past month and have yet to fall out with it. Quite an achievement it would appear!

12. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Forgot to mention that my parents have the SD-220E player, which I recommended before seeing the Pioneer DV-350.

I bought the Pioneer, as I couldn't source a Toshiba dealer locally and ended up getting the DV-350 for the same price as I would have done at Richers with the multi-region mod.

Both are excellent players for the money and my advice would be to audition both and see which you prefer.

Certainly doesn't make sense buying the super-cheap players when you can get such good quality for just under a ton.