1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-350 -> Yamaha RXV630 coax digital input not working!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JellyBaby, Apr 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. JellyBaby

JellyBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am having extreme difficulty getting my Amp (Yamaha RXV630-RDS) to pick up the Digital DTS signal from my Pioneer DV-350 DVD player on the coax, when I select Dolby DTS when playing a DVD I get no sound. I have set the Coax Input source on my amp to DVD, I am using DVDs with Digital 5.1. and have set the following settings on my DVD player :

Digital Out -> On ,
    Dolby Digita Out -> Dolby Digital ,
    DTS Out - DTS ,
    96KHz PCM Out -> 96KHz ,
    MPEG Out -> MPEG.

I have also checked the coax cable itself and it has no breaks in it. I also have my DVD player connected up to my amp through the SCART connection and have the Composite and Audio L + R connectors connected .. maybe I should try taking out the Audio connectors ?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Does the amp have an AUTO setting so that it detects the format automatically? I assume you are selecting the DTS track from the dvd disc sound options menu?

3. JellyBaby

JellyBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AMP does have an AUTO setting, when I use this it just picks up Dolby Prologic. When I press the Audio button on my DVD remote it says along the top "Audio Track 1/1 Dolby Digital 3/2.1 ch" which I assume is the same as saying 5.1 .

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    In that case try unplugging the left & right audio leads in case its taking those as a priority signal (although it shouldn´t!).

5. JellyBaby

JellyBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get any sound when I do that :(

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Strange one. Have you tried another cable just in case thats the cause?

7. JellyBaby

JellyBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have another digital cable .. too damn expensive! :p I'm just wondering whether the settings on my DVD player aren't quite right ... just can't find any reference as to what they should be!

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Only one I might change is the 96Khz PCM Out, switch it to 48khz. Some amps can´t pick up these signals digitally. The rest look ok to me.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Do you mean that you have the DVD player connected to the TV through the SCART connection :confused:

10. JellyBaby

JellyBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, I mean I have my DVD connected to my amp through the SCART connection. My amp is then connected to my TV through the SCART.

11. The Fox

The Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use one of your Audio left/right co-ax cables (or a spare if you have one) as a temp Digital cable. Should work fine. At least enough to rule out cable problems

Most quality audio cables are okay in spec (75 ohm etc..). I am currently using this set up until I get around to purchasing a dedicated Digital lead

Steve

12. JellyBaby

JellyBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right okay, I will give it a shot, thanks

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is no scart connector on the Yamaha amp so what exactly do you have the scart from the DVD player connected to.

The normal way to connect up is from the scart socket on the DVD player to the scart input on the TV that accepts RGB so that you are getting the best quality picture.

14. JellyBaby

JellyBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SCART -> Composite + AudioL + AudioR .. I did mention that in the original post.

15. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    you cant get DD through the analogue phono's that you have connected. thats why you get "2.1" on the amp - it automatically splits the stero signal that it's recieving into L+R+sub (2.1) (if you didn't know this already lol)

you need to do what The Fox said. Make sure you connect the "digital-out" from your dvd player straight to the amp, with that cable, dont use the scart!

oh, by the way, if you didnt know - the digital-in on your yammy defults to "CD" so if you havn't changed this, make sure you select "cd" as the input instead of dvd. disconnect all of the connections from the scart aswell to make sure its working correctly.

16. The Fox

The Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If still not working I would get your system back to a basic set up (don't know what other items are connected ie Skybox etc..) to check out the Amp/DVD player works okay in isolation

As Ian says connect DVD to TV with Scart and AMP to DVD with digital (or other suitable cable) coax.
    Presumimg your speakers are connected correctly you should get a 5.1 sound if playing a suitable DVD and set to Auto input mode on Amp

Just thought.... on my Yamaha (HTR5540RDS, slightly older model than yours) the default input for DVD is to utilise the Optical input. Thus if you select DVD on the remote then...no sound...

Use the CD option for input if using co-ax digital cable . If this works then simply re-assign the inputs permantly using a menu function (on my AMP its SET MENU item 7, I/O ASSIGN).

(Just checked, on mine yes, when DVD selected on default setup no sound.....)

Steve

17. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    That looks like you only have one audio track to choose from (a Dolby digital sound track) on the DVD.
    The Audio Track would say 1/4 if there were 4 tracks to chose from, 1/5 if there were 5.
    The DVD players Audio button cycles through the tracks 1/4 - 2/4 - 3/4 - 4/4 - 1/4 you do that until one says DTS along the top.

What DVD are you trying to play?

You also need to have the amp on the DTS/DD soundfield not on stereo.

I have the DVD350 with the AX630 and those are two settings that aren't always automatic.

18. The Fox

The Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JellyBaby

What was (?) the fix then....?

Any info gained is useful for other people going through maybe the same set of problems if shared..

Steve