1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DMRE100HEBS / DMRE85HEBS / DMRE95HEBSM

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by khaverblad, Jan 4, 2005.

1. khaverblad

khaverblad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been reading within this forum for the last two weeks to figure out what do get and I started with my mind set to Pioneer 520 and then got the advice that the Panasonic give better results when it comes to record than the Pioneer. So I've then looked at the DMRE100HEBS, DMRE85HEBS and DMRE95HEBSM from Pioneer and frankly is there any difference when it comes to the recording part? At first I saw the use for firewire connection and after a while I realised that I don't need this feature. But, is there anything else that one should base in mind?

As it's now I would go for either the 85 or 95... but actually to have to pay an 200 euro more for the larger disk doesn't make any worth it really. Or did I miss out anything except that the 95 has FW and SD card slot, etc. (speaking in terms of the primary use will be for recording and for editing the recordings)?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    As you have observed the differences between the E85 and E95 are a larger HDD (160GB), iLink and SD/PC Card slots. If you don't need any of these then go for the E85. The E100 is an old model now.

3. khaverblad

khaverblad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could one assume that following units are the same:

Panasonic DMR-E85HEBS
    Panasonic DMR-E85EBS
    Panasonic DMR-E85HEG9-S

I'm checking at pricerunner and gives couple of models.

4. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I have 2 E85s. One is an E85HEBS, the other is an E85HEB9S. I bought both locally (i.e. over the counter), from different retailers. Both are UK models (indicated by the 'EB'), both are region 2. The HEBS was made in Japan, the HEB9S was made in Germany. The full model number and country of origin are marked on the outside of the box.

My HEB9S is noisier than my HEBS (which was a bit dissapointing - I bought the HEBS first and the HEB9S in the post Christmas sales). I can only hear a very faint fan noise from the HEBS, whereas there is a noticeable rapid ticking noise from the HEB9S, which I assume is the HDD head stepping. It is quieter than my Humax 8000T though, to put it into perspective. Perhaps the HDD in the German made ones is a different make/model, but I shouldn't read too much into a sample of one of each.

Apart from this, they seem to be identical.

My reasons for choosing the E85 included (in no particular order): Panasonic reputation (I already had a Panasonic SVHS recorder), ability to format the HDD, automatic naming of recorded titles, rf modulator, RAM discs (I have more faith in them than RW discs), could not justify the extra cost of an E95. There must be others I can't think of right now, I spent many hours reading magazine reviews and trawling through forums.

My reasons for choosing a 2nd E85 were: Happy with the first E85, wanted a second recorder for programme clashes. I thought the E55 was the obvious choice for a second recorder initially - record onto RAM discs then high speed dub to the E85 HDD. But then I learned (thanks to Rasczak) that E55 recordings cannot be high speed dubbed to DVD-R in the E85. When you're used to dubbing in minutes you don't want to go back to dubbing in real time.

5. khaverblad

khaverblad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, So when finally one get's down to pick a system I kind of got stuck with the Pioneer E95.. until I noticed the the E95 don't support VBR as the E85 does? As well, I noticed that the E95 does not support SVCD, no real biggy there. But curious was Panasonic removed it.

So kind of keeping looking around again and if any one could comment the E95 compared with the E85. Is it just a typo when it comes to the VBR?

6. khaverblad

khaverblad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I checked Panasonic.se and it says VBR on both models there.... so never mind then.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    All Panasonic recorders use a variable bitrate.