1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DCS303- PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Voyager, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Voyager

Voyager

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Pioneer DCS303 last November and I am absolutely delighted with it. Unfortunately its subwoofer channel packed in in July this year. So a warranty repair was carried out. Unfortunately, the unit was dented in transit back to me. So it was classed as an insurance write off - even though it still works.

A brand new unit was sent to me - Woo Hoo!(minus it speakers of course - DOH!) and this is the root of my dilema. I wanted to give the slightly dented case but still working unit and speakers to a friend who is on a low income. And use the new replacement unit for myself. I thought getting the matching speakers for the 303 would be a piece of cake.

I have tried direct through Pioneer to buy a set of speakers for the unit, but to no avail. They suggested that I contact Pioneer dealerships to see if a dealer would split up a system. A dozen or so dealers were contacted, but again all to no avail.

Can anyone help me out with a set of speakers (money waiting) or possibly come up with any sensible suggestions for resolving my problem.

Many thanks

Voyager

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I wouldn't have thought it was practical to get a new set of original pioneer speakers as originally supplied with the unit. Your best bet is finding some cheap compatibles.

Something like these might suffice.

http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206398

Remember though that the DCS-303 has a 6 ohm rating and outputs a maximum 75 watts per channel. 8 ohm speakers will be compatible but they will reduce power output a bit in theory. Depends on how efficient the speakers are.

If you went for a five speaker package you would also need a subwoofer or if you have the option on the pioneer you may be able to set speaker mode to 'large'. This means the subwoofer channel is switched off and the full range of frequencies are sent to all 5 main speakers. The technics speakers above should be able to do a good amount of bass and may even sound better than the original speakers.

3. Voyager

Voyager

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to update on this subject. I finally sourced a set of brand new and unused speakers that come with the DCS303 system.
    I got them on Ebay cost £75 plus p&p. RESULT!!:D