1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer dcs303 or Sony davs550

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kamza, Dec 5, 2002.

1. kamza

kamza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking to replace my ageing Toshiba SD100 with an all in one system. The choice has basically been narrowed down to either the Pioneer dcs303 or the Sony davs550. I was all set to go for the sony was but was put off with the bad review it got in What Home Cinema magazine...they seem to reckon the Pioneer's the one to go for...

2. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me personally, I would go for the Sony Dav-s880. OK, it's is a bit more, but have heard it's the mutts! My mate bought the 550, and he is extremely happy with it, but he ended up spending over £100 for 4 speaker stands for the satelites.....The Dav-S880 has the speakers intergrated into the stands. I'd prefer to spend the little extra on a much better much more powerful system. Let me know how you get on! I'm in the same position as you - wanting to replace an old dvd player with an all-in-one system. I'm probably going for the Dav-s880 (in case you hadn't relised that already!!!
    Hope this helps.
    Lee.;)

3. kamza

kamza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    cheers mate...the davs880's a bit out my price range but I see what you mean about the speaker stands...

4. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    zeenokam,

I've recently bought the Pioneer DCS303 from Techtronics. I'm very impressed with it. I looked at the Sony 550 but I couldn't justify paying £170 extra (got the Pioneer for £329 inc vat and del). The Pioneer unit doesn't look as nice as the Sony but the performance is every bit as good.

5. bakerrev

bakerrev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was in the same boat and went for the Pioneer 303. Setting up this afternoon :rolleyes: will post results if you like?

Managed to get it for £331 including free speaker stands.
    24-7 Electrical and Hifi Bitz are doing this offer.

If I were spending out for the 880 I'd go down the seperates route instead.

6. kamza

kamza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers bakerrev...let me know how you get on...

7. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered the S550 from Krish-AV. Was going to go to Techtronics but...well, just do a search on the forums. The pioneer is great for the money, and I'd recommend going to John Lewis (or where ever) for a demo of both and choose the one that you prefer. The Sony arrives next week and I'll post how I get on hooking it up to my plasma.

All the best

8. bakerrev

bakerrev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Finally got a moment to set this up - life is too busy!

It's going to take a while before I get the best out of this. Where you put the speakers is obviously very imp. In my case the best place for the TV does not mean the best place for the speakers.

Musically the 303 sounds really great. Plays MP3s really well and TV sound is a real improvement with PLII. It's plenty loud enough - believe me!

The DVD is a big improvement on my cheap Adsa DVD. It is so much smoother and quality it great.
    I'm pleased with the results -and for the money spent - I does a good job. Now I got to tidy up all those wires :(

For anyone who doesn't want to spend a fortune this a good option. The free speaker stands help too!

9. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just rejected 2 Sony 550's for the same reason. Sound is fantastic BUT both units so far had a thin bue line (1mm) at the top of cimena widescreen DVD's, which was very annoying. It doesn't occur on our Toshiba or Philips DVD players. In full screen 16:9 mode the problem isn't there because the picture fills thw whole screen. Once again Sony have superb design, superb features but screw it up with a minor but very annoying technical deficeincy. I'm gutted cos I love the unit otherwise. I could keep it just for the sound and run the Toshiba DVD through it but really Sony should have got it right. (How did it win an award with such a glaring fault).

10. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,

Just for my peace of mind, what output were you using on the Sony that gave you the thin blue line ?

11. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have had DAVS550 for a few months now (all be it replaced because of subtitle problems with early units) and have not noticed the blue line on the top of cinema widescreen pictures. I connect by SVideo and the unit is region 2 only.

Sound in DD and DTS is excellent, PLII is good but still not a patch on DD or DTS, seems to lack some bass. Picture quality by SVideo is also very good.

Have not heard the pioneer so cannot compare the two, however if you have no surround at the moment then I am sure you will be happy with either of them.

12. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony DAVS-550 arrived last week along with the Supra AV3 Component cable. I have hooked up all my kit (Sky, VCR and now the Sony) through to my Panasonic 42 inch plasma and the results are very impressive. Previously I just had a composite connection while I waited for this kit to arrive and the picture difference is stunning. I'm impressed with the sound too - quite 'big' for such tiny speakers and certainly good enough for our front room.

No thin blue line either, plus the wife loves the remote - it's just a piece of blue perspex masking a complex remote for crying out loud ! :confused: Still any wife approval is worth having.

All in all a very happy bunny.

13. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An update on the thin blue line issue, I would imagine it's me being perfectionist but I tested the Pioneer and that was as bad as the sony, then tested the thomson system which was not as bad but had a poor picture and sound was not as good.

Believe me if you check any 2:35:1 film the top of the picture does exhibit a very slight (1mm) bluish overlay most noicable over orange areas. Some films are worse than others - the test DVD I used was Charlies Angels.

Having said all that I have finally gone for the Sony 550 because the sound is fantastic, the pictures superb but all that makes the thin blue line or overlay more obvious.

I tested all my DVD's for the subtitle problem and found only one (Gone In 60 Seconds) to exhibit the problem - so should I get the 550 replaced again or are they all going to be the same.

I also noted that the 550 won't play DVD+R's, does it play DVD-R's anyone?