1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer dcs303 or Sony davs550 (again)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ubik, Mar 11, 2003.

1. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done a search, but thought it worth asking again as the price difference has changed.
    I can get the 303 for £280 inc vat and multiregion
    or the s550 for £350 + £40 to make it multi region.

I can get the sony for that price because of the sony offer on tv's ie the fs66. Either £100 off any sony product or a free dvd player.

So if I go for the pioneer, i can also get a free dvd player to sell/give away!

2. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do you get the offer of a free player with the Pioneer???

I have the CS303 and I'm very pleased with it, if I could have bought the Sony for the same price I would have bought the Sony but I couldn't, so I didn't!

DaveP

4. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a free SONY player only if you buy a SONY tele.
    The thing is you can get the pioneer system for the same price as the sony online

5. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought the 303 a couple of weeks ago (at the same price) and can say that it has somewhat surpassed my expectations of what was possible at the low price.

It has it's limitations, of course; but I am far more than happy with my purchase.

It has played every disc that I have placed in the tray and brought a new 'fun factor' to my DVD collection.

It doesn't live up to 'separates' (these are small speakers, after all - really small :D; but even my friends and family members that own 'separates' think it is a great little system.

I'd recommend it to anyone; but I can't provide comparison I'm afraid (as I am house-bound and so, have been unable to audition systems).

I hope that kinda helps and that you enjoy whatever you eventually buy. Good luck! :smashin:

6. pop-blue

pop-blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I work for a repair centre and we have had quite a few 550's in for repair for different things. Would advise to stay away from them.... :thumbsdow

7. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys,
    i've heard the 550 and thought it was a bit tinny with cd's but ok in films.
    I dont think there is much to choose between them but the pioneer is cheaper and i havent heard a single negative comment about it.
    Unfortunately, my first choice tele is now out of the window as I cant get anywhere (sonyfx66), so i have to decide on another one without breaking the bank (max £1000)

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditch the idea of both the Sony TV and Pioneer DSC303. You can now buy Sony's DAVS550 for £299, (see http://www.richersounds.com for more details), and it makes sense to hook this up to a TV with Component Video inputs - preferably also with progressive scan. For this I'd recomment Toshiba's 32ZD26P ( http://www.comet.co.uk for around £940) or - even better (if you can find it for under a grand) - Toshiba's 32ZP18/Q.

9. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Dimmy,
    the 32ZP18/Q has the 5.1 speakers. are they any good compared to the 550 or the pioneer?
    I dont like the look of the other tosh and I dont want pro scan.

10. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hello Ubik...can I ask you where you saw the Pioneer 303 for £280 multi best I've found is £350...cheers

Berth:D

11. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought mine from here, bertha.

£279.95, plus £15 delivery (which was quoted as 3-5 day, but arrived in about 18 hours (they sent it with 24 hour delivery :smashin: ) :D

EDIT: That's multi-region too! :laugh:

12. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Dad has the 303 and a 32ZP. The TV has no centre speaker and the sub is some weedy thing inside. He already had the 303 and so has never used the TV rears. I think it only puts out a max of 10W/channel. Bear in mind that the 303 sub is passive which saves on a power socket, but limits upgrades.

His 303 had to go back for a warranty repair when one of the speaker channels stopped working. He had to pay the postage.

Apart from that he's happy. Having an integrated unit means it fits under the TV with the VCR and cable box.

13. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not trying to be smart, but to allow people to make up their own minds, here are the published specs from Pioneer (to be taken with a pinch of salt, perhaps!;) ).

I'm not trying to 'sell' it either! All that I know is that it seems a lot louder, with an improvement in clarity of details, than both my PC speakers (an Altec 4.1, 70W RMS (supposedly!) setup) and my DPL TV with added external speakers (a total of about 100W RMS output). Some of that could just be the move to digital/5.1, of course... :smashin:

For a room as small as mine though (3mx3m), for me, it isn't all about volume; I just enjoy the improved separation and lower lows that this system provides for me - along with the DPL2 :D

By the way, do Toshiba TVs still use the 'lightweight', circa 5W rear speakers that my seven year-old Pro-logic set uses? I just wondered if things have improved (aside from the loss of a dedicated centre speaker)...

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Go with the pioneer, I bought one after i moved house and my main Set up was all boxed up waiting for my cinema room to be finished, for the money it is nothing short of amazing, and I dont want to upset any sony owners out there but a friend of mine who had the sony swapped it for the pioneer when he heard it.

And for under £300 including delivery you cant really go wrong, in fact I was just about to sell mine but now it is that cheap there is no point :rolleyes:

15. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gizlaroc.
    I really want to go for it but I have heard of problems with pioneer and SONY tv's. This is what someone in the tv section said

"The picture is fantastic through RGB from the DV-656A; vibrant colours and no 100Hz spoilage; I recommend sitting a way away though for optimum appreciation. Unfortunately, the flickering in daylight scenes issue with Pioneer players is present, somewhat less so than reported by others, but I think it could be a problem in the long run."
    "My advise would be to stay away from the combination of Pioneer DVD and Sony TV's as you will soon get annoyed with the bright/outdoor scenes - you can't help but see them. "

Hmmm, have you noticed this?

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Cant say I have noticed, I have a philips but my mate is using the pioneer on his sony.

I will ask him tomorrow if he has noticed anything if you want ?

17. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers ,
    I'm hoping to get a SONY 32LS60 tv.with the pioneer 303 system
    :D

18. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Just wondered if this is the Sony tv being a bit macrovision sensitive and the pioneer having a rather agressive macrovision signal. Its just when you mention brightness variations and dvd in the same sentence its normally related to macrovision. Is it cured by a dvd without macrovisoin?

19. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh Gizlaroc.
    Did you manage to speak to your mate?
    re

"Cant say I have noticed, I have a philips but my mate is using the pioneer on his sony.

I will ask him tomorrow if he has noticed anything if you want ?"

cheers

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    yeah I did ask him and he said he hadn't noticed at all.

Mind you he is not as fussy as me, but he said somthing like that and he would notice straight away.

hope that helps.