1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DCS303 or Sony DAV550

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by toshdummy, Jul 10, 2003.

1. toshdummy

toshdummy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a Toshiba 42" RPTV. And although the sound is good, apart from the slight hissing from the rear speakers and a woofer that keeps switching itself off and back on again when all the action has finished. :laugh: Will using either the pioneer dcs303 or the sony dav550 improve the audio quality.
    Then which to buy, I like the look of the sony and at £299.99 for the multi region it's only £30 more expensive than the pioneer. But which do you think is best?

Thanks for any help.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Both are at the top of the same class. IMO the Pioneer has slightly better picture while the Sony has slightly better sound. Buy either with confidence!

3. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer have brought out an updated version of the 303 - the DCS313. It now has the all important scart socket that ridiculously was missing off so many of these all-in-ones at first. It may be worth waiting a month or so for the stockists to get these in, the picture quality should be a huge improvement on the present Pioneer without a scart.

4. twotonemark

twotonemark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my DCS303 for 2 weeks now and I love it. Was going to go for a Sony but found mixed reviews but couldn't find 1 bad review of the Pioneer.

Whatever you buy I'm sure you'll love it...enjoy whatever your choice.

5. basem

basem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had my pioneer for nearly 7 months now...i tell you its one of the best buys I ever made...very pleased with it

6. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just moments ago I was thinking about how happy I am with my 303 :)

Not being able to accommodate separates (in terms of finance or available space!), I had quite some trepidation about buying one of these 'compromise' systems. Sure, it's not up there with the big boxes; but it has brought that one all-important component into my room - fun :D

Even my separates-owning friends and brother think I did the right thing, so it must have something going for it! Oh yeah, and the s-video picture is surprisingly good (on my TV, at least).

I also liked the look of the Sony, but the continually favourable reviews and an appreciable difference in price (at the time) swayed me toward the Pioneer. In short, I have no regrets:smashin:.

7. twotonemark

twotonemark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets hear it for the Pioneer DCS303 fanclub......hiphip HURRAY:clap: hiphip HURRAY:clap:

:D :D :D

Sorry to hijack I just couldn't resist:blush:

Nice to read long term owners reviews of the 303.

Hijack over:devil:

8. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Count me in! I've had my 303 since before Christmas and I'm very happy with it. Quality sound and picture. The 550 might look slightly better but I'd still go for the Pioneer after hearing the two.

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    The What hifi review really kicked the crap out of the DCS313. Made it sound like a joke with rubbish sound and picture. I think they quoted the picture quality as looking through a screen smeared with vasaline. So I'm just guessing but I reckon the DCS303 might be the better system even without a RGB scart socket. I mean the DCS303 was originally meant to sell for a lot more than the DCS313 is launched at.

I would say the Sony is clearly superior though if you get a multiregion one and can make use of its ntsc progressive scan and component outputs.

Sony's do have slightly suspect dvd drives a lot of the time though.

I'd also like to point out that a lot of the newer cheaper models with rgb scart sockets are actually made by samsung. This goes for Sony, Toshiba, JVC and possibly Pioneer. Just the main dvd/amp unit. In fact the newer Toshiba budget system is just a reworked HTDM150.

10. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the DCS 313 about 3 weeks ago and THEN read the What Hi-Fi report :( . Unfortunately I have nothing to compare the DCS's performance with as I'm new to this HC world but I can only say I'm delighted with it. I have it in a fairly large room and the sound is just stunning. I did, however, replace all speaker cables with higher quality ones

I wonder if the reviewers took time to use all the surround and PL 11 options? As for the picture, Vaseline??:confused: not on my picture. The RGB output ( not available on the 303) goes to a panny TX-32PS12 and I can't honestly see how the quality could be improved.

Anyway, they probably know a lot more than me ;) as I sit here in blissfull ignorance of the "poor quality" of this equipment

11. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I must admit I wasn't surpised when What Hifi criticised the sound as they are ultra fussy sound wise but I was surprised that the RGB picture was so poorly rated. I'm not sure if What Video have reviewed the DCS313 yet but their rating on picture quality will be better as they tend to do picture tests more accurately I find. What Hifi are better though I think for sound quality assessment.