1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DCS-303 vs. JVC THA-35R?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by davidh82, Oct 11, 2003.

1. davidh82

davidh82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm weighing up the above 2 all-in one systems, and would like to hear from anyone who owns the JVC model. There seem to be a good few people on this list who own the DCS-303, and speak very highly of it - which is great. How is it playing music CD's (the system I buy will replace the hi-fi in that room - the room is about 12 foot by 20 foot)?

I am set on an all-in one system due to budget constraints (both above systems can be found online for less than £230 on techtronics.com).

I like the fact that the JVC has a SCART socket, but the Pioneer seems to have more friends in this forum!

Any opinions at all will help,

Thanks!

davidh82

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    If your television does RGB scart well the JVC will have the far better picture. The Pioneer sound is more powerful and generally better I believe. with todays televisions having multiple scarts with only one being rgb and at least one of the others s-video many people bung their skybox into the rgb scart and their home cinema system into one of the other scarts using s-video. However me being rather fussy I have a remote control scart switching box so that multiple rgb scart devices can be connected. Also some people connect their dvd through the skybox so that they still get the rgb picture. Not sure if this means the skybox has to be in standby though to get RGB passthrough.

When I bought my home cinema system I wanted;

1. Multiregion (preferably via remote instead of hacked firmware flashing or fitted chips)

2. Excellent RGB picture

3. Excellent Sound

4. Compatibility with vcd/svcds again without hacks and firmware flashs.

5. Great media support including cdrs and dvd-rs.

6. Digital and analogue audio inputs for connecting external hardware to get surround sound.

7. All three main surround formats, DD, DTS and Dolby Prologic II.

In the end I went for the Samsung HTDM150 and have never regretted it.

Samsung also make proper rgb equipped home cinema systems and many of these are rebranded by companies like Toshiba and JVC who then add their own speaker designs to the samsung designed main unit. Take the JVC TH-A5R, thats actually the same as the Samsung HTDM150 except it has different styling and JVC have supplied inferior and much more compact speakers to the ones supplied with the HTDM150. The Toshiba SD-43HK is also based on the HTDM150 but again not as good due to speakers and also too many video connections seems to have caused a poor picture on this model.

My advice would be if your going to end up connecting by s-video anyway then the Pioneer but if you really want the superior RGB picture at the expense of sound then the JVC. Thats not to say that the JVC sound is poor its just that the Pioneer is very good where as the JVC is merely good.

But you've not mentioned the features you need so its hard to know what exactly your after.

3. davidh82

davidh82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this - very helpful indeed. My main priority is sound. My old flat mate had a Sony S330 (I think) I my main recollection of that was of muffled vocals on movies - I want to avoid that if I can, and also use the player as a semi-decent hi-fi replacement. I'll definitely check out the Samsung you own, sounds good - I had no idea that JVC etc. repackage Samsung internals, so thanks for the tip. I may also see if my budget would stretch to include the Panasonic SC-DT310, which looks awesome!

Thanks again.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    It sound quality for audio cds, mp3s etc is important then Panasonic would probably be better.

Basically the Samsung HTDM150 and Pioneer DCS303 have sound and bass to give an impact to movies and make them more exciting. They are not so good on fine detail and aren't class leaders on 2 channel audio reproduction

The Sony DAVS550 has very little impact for movies but has fine detail for audio cds etc. It uses a digital amplifier that lacks dynamics.

I can't help thinking something like this might be ideal for you. Its only got s-video out as its top connection but in sound terms its very good and its got two very decent front channel speakers to give decent stereo results with audio cds etc.

http://www.whathomecinemamag.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2495

here's mine;

http://www.whathomecinemamag.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2697

the pioneer DCS303;

http://www.whathomecinemamag.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2695

The Sony DAVS-550

http://www.whathomecinemamag.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2547

5. davidh82

davidh82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: