Pioneer DBR TF100

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by degringo, Jun 10, 2005.

1. degringo

degringo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm looking at getting a freeview box and the Pioneer DBR TF100 strikes me as a good unit.

One of the reasons is that it will connect directly to my Pioneer Home Cinema System via the digital output.

My question is does anyone have one of these and how do they rate it?

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The Pioneer and Sony boxes are considered to be some of the better units with regard to picture quality. The Pioneer outputs rgb to the tv and s-video (or composite) to the vcr or dvd recorder. The digital output is just fine. The Sony unit gets slightly better reviews but it usually costs a bit more than the Pioneer.

Brian

3. ghosty

ghosty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi degringo,

ive had my pio dbr tf100 for about a year now and i think it great, especially for the price when compared to the sony. like u say it has all the right connectons as mine is also using the optical output to my amp. although just having a reasonable scart lead makes a dramatic difference to the picture quality compared to the standard scart that comes with the box.

the menu system and setup is easy enough to use and it does automatic updates and stuff. no complaints here...

g

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Yep, it was also given an update a while back to enable the 7 day TV guide.

I think it is more flexible than the Sony because it permits S-Video output from the VCR scart and RGB from the TV scart at the same time.

Most people would say the Sony has a slightly better picture though, but there's not much in it and the Pioneer is cheaper.

I'd recommend it.

5. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having problems with my Thomson DTI 2300 so read the DBR-TF100 manual from the Pioneer website.

It does not appear to be able to signal a VCR via scart to record a program when a timer event happens. I read the manual very thoroughly and no mention was made of recording programs. Any of you guys who actually own this confirm/contradict this?

6. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have had the Pioneer for about a year now and the picture quality is excellent..... even with a poor signal. The RGB and optical digital connections are nice little additions. However my only gripe is when using s-video from the vcr scart I get a black and white picture but when I change it to composite it goes colour again. Anyone any ideas on what may be causing this?

Apart from that I am well pleased with the box and would recommend it.

Cheers :)

7. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Harry Alpha, I'm not sure but I'll try and check later if i get a chance. Im a bit busy right now.

It looks as if it will work with the composite or s-video output. It seems to be more related to the recording equipment rather than the digibox. On my Panasonic E85 dvd recorder you can set the recorder to activate when it detects a signal from the digibox. According to the Panny manual this doesn't work for rgb signals.

Mobily, you have to have a s-vhs recorder to record s-video. if you do and you are having problems then you should check the input to your vcr as it may not be 'set' to accept s-video input. Try using a scart to s-video (+L/R audio) lead into the s-input on your vcr.

Brian.

8. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers bxd.

I think you might be right about the s-vhs thing. I always thought that my video recorder did accept s-video signals but maybe I am wrong. I connect the vcr by scart to the tv and the freeview box.

If it doesn't accept s-video an upgrade to a dvd recorder may be in order :)

I'm hoping on getting a humax 9000t when it eventually gets released!

9. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Mobily,

If your vcr can record on s-vhs, then it should say so on the front panel or somewhere in the manual. There should also be some front panel indicator (led) that tells you that the vcr is in s-vhs mode. It's slightly possible that it has Quasi s-vhs playback (some Panny machines) which will allow you to play s-vhs tapes but only at regular vhs resolution.

Brian

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    In which case you'll be better off using the RGB to record from rather than the s-video.

Another good thing about the Pioneer is that the remote will control any (most?) brands of TV (basic functions).