Pioneer D2011 vs VSA-AX10?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Snippermanden, Feb 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what to choose.

I can buy the D2011 for approx 1250 Euro or the VSA-AX10 for 3000 Euro.

Im not sure in which areas the AX10 will be better.

My speakers are a Miller & Kreisel K3 sub/sat (active sub). The sats are rated 4ohm.

I know that the AX10 probably won't be 2½ times better than the D2011 but will I be able to notice a difference or are the any features that I will miss on one of them?

2. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From a lot of the threads I've read neither Pioneer is particularly good with 4 ohm loads. I think you'll need a dedicated power amp to handle your M&K's either go for a pre-pro or use the Pioneer 2011 as a pre-amp and spend the rest on a dedicated power amp. In truth I don't think many receivers' power amp stages will be up to driving your speakers so I would have thought a beefy power amp is a must to get the best out of your M&K's

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about processor (of your choice) and the Rotel 1905, 5 channel, 200W per channel, THX- £1800.

Put that big Pioneer to shame.

Nathan

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not that either Pioneer is bad with 4Ohm loads, quite the opposite, it is a very safe amp to use with low impedance speakers. The protection circuits are on the zealous side - you can't kill your speakers by clipping them without really trying. M&Ks shouldn't present too much of a problem to either amp, though the AX10 has a lot more control over the bass than the 2011 (which is not exactly lacking in bass control).

5. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm - maybe the idea of using the D2011 as a pre-amp is good.

What I really like about the Pioneer's is the MCACC thing. If I look at the Pioneer range, there is also the D1011. It also has the MCACC but are the other differences if I only use it as a pre-amp?

I could buy a 1011 (or 2011) and a Rotel RMB 1075 - and still save money over the AX10. This might be the way to go?

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you could do is a 2nd hand AV amp with a low-powered amp section, but with a excellent processing section. Makre sure it has pre-outs for all channels!

And look for a high quality 5 channel powermp. And then maybe a 2 channel to go into 7 channel.

Because you won't be using the AV amp's poweramp section, why buy a AV Amp with expensive and high output?

That MACC is useful, but if you spend time with a SPL meter you can acheive the same results.

THe 1075 is about £800 rrp.

7. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1011 doesn't have auto MCACC, so you'll need an SPL meter to set it up properly, whereas with the 2011 you get it all done at once using the microphone.

8. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not many of those 2. hand high quality av amps with good processing sections around are there? :)

Dedicated pre-amps are so expensive. The cheapest one around cost approx the same as a Pioneer VSX-D2011.

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    (Probably) the cheepest (new) processor is the Rotel RSP-1066 ... it's brilliant ... I just bought one - but I havn't done any a-b comparisons to Pioneer 2011, etc.

The MCACC isn't just about sound levels (IIRC) but also includes a small parametric eq to componsate for room accoustics a little - so just using a sound meter won't replace the MCACC.

Vikki

10. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just happened to pop on and saw you people talking about the Pioneer 2011.
    I am considering buying it saw it for £750 the other day and was wondering if its a good buy for wurround sound compared to others like the DENON avr3802, vamaha 1300 (I think) an onkyo (cannot remember model) etc.

Has anyone done an out and out test to decide which sounds best ?
    I am more interested in the stereo side as I listen to a lot of CD's and this amp would be replacing an Audio Innovations pre/power valve amp which would go up for sale then.

Do you think the stereo is anywhere near what I get from my valve amp ?

i know the only way is to probably audition it but I need to cut down the number of possible amps to chose from

All help much appreciated

Davy

11. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David

There was a review in Hi-Fi News recently that compared:-

JVC RX-DP10
    Onkyo TX-SR700E
    Pioneer VSX-D2011
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Sony STR-VA333ES
    Yamaha RXV-1300

In terms of overall sound quality the Rotel (£1200 list) triumphed. The Pioneer was deemed to be the best value, slightly behind the Rotel in sound performance but ahead of it on features while they also rated the Yamaha quite highly. The others were rated behind those three.

All the experts seem to think there is no comparison between Hi-Fi gear and AV stuff in terms of quality, unless you're going to spend a lot of money. I suggest you demo some kit to see if there's any veracity in the belief.

If it's not a case of either/or Hi-Fi vs AV then why not buy a lower rated AV Receiver like any of the mid-range Marantzs/Yamahas/Denons and use your Audio Innovations rig to power the front two channels. This, to me, seems like the best compromise and offers the best of both worlds.

12. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers for that Dazed,

The problem I feel though with valves compared to transistors is that the sound might be very confused ie. the warm flowing sound of valves against trans.. Its a difficult choice and like you say best to demo, only problem is the high street companies will want me to buy their amp if I demo it when I can save a few hundred by buying on-line !!! Interesting to hear about the Rotel though I will have to maybe give it an audition also as I have always liked rotel as it does sound very smooth like valves.

Thanks again

Davy