Pioneer CLD-S310S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by INS_tha_rebel, Apr 22, 2005.

1. INS_tha_rebel

INS_tha_rebel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Pioneer CLD-S310S from ebay for £36 including delivery and a few discs. It was an impulse buy but i'm wondering if I bought a good unit and what I may need to know about laserdiscs in general. Also, the unit doesn't come with a remote so I was wondering what remote I need to replace it with.

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Checkout:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-s310/pioneer_cld-s310.htm

This laserdisc player was Pioneer's last ditched attempt to kickstart interest in the laserdisc format back in 1996.

It was their entry level player, which unfortunately, had many features stripped out to make it cheaper.

The player is PAL only. It will not play NTSC laserdiscs in either pure NTSC or PAL60. The ability to play older analogue PAL laserdiscs was also removed.

However picture quality is OK and the players sound quality from LD or CD is similar to that of an entry level full size CD player.

For £36.00 for player and discs, you haven't been robbed.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Most cheap (poundshop) AV remotes should have a code that should work an LD player just see if you can check the code list in the shop.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    You can get some laserdisc bargains on ebay, with the usual caveats etc of "be careful". £5 for a shrink wrapped film seems to be the going rate.

Ultimately they are not as good quality as DVD, but they are better (usually) than VHS.

£36 isn't a bad price, I bought a higher-end model without discs for my brother for around £45 and it took a while to get one for that sort of price. It was mint however, orig box and manual, had the jog wheel on the remote, separate CD drawer that emerged from the main drawer etc - quite swish actually. Almost tempted to get one myself when it arrived. Built like a tank. Then I realised how spoilt DVD has made us when I watched it!

Enjoy your purchase!

...PJ :)

5. INS_tha_rebel

INS_tha_rebel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help/advice guys

I do have a DVD player (Panasonic DMR-E55) but I bought a laserdisc player mainly for some criterion movies that haven't made it to DVD and a few other collectors editions. I realise the picture quality insn't anywhere near DVD standard but I've heard some people rate the sound quality higher than DVD in some cases due to compression. Is this true?

6. stulou

stulou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Regarding sound quality, I have noticed that the quality of LD is better than dvd in most cases due to the compression rate.

Unfortunately, the CLD-S310S (being PAL only) won't benefit you due to no PAL discs having a 5.1 (DD or DTS) soundtrack.

7. INS_tha_rebel

INS_tha_rebel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL typical

8. INS_tha_rebel

INS_tha_rebel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did criterion only release NTSC discs as this was the primary reason I got a laserdisc player.