• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Pioneer challenge - could I do better?

diggerbarnes

Standard Member
Hi, I have been recommended a Pioneer VSX-AX2AS-S amp as part of a home cinema setup, and quoted £750.

The amp looks good spec wise, I think I can haggle the price, but the question is whether I should be going for a different/better amp - for example one of the Onkyos, and is it future proofed enough?

I will mainly use it for audio from Sky HD and blue ray.

Thanks!

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
It looks well specced and a solid piece of kit.. however the Onkyo 805 or 895 do offer the HD sound formats as an option... they won't be used at the moment as the sound is done in the player, but for the future it may be a better option.

You don't have to have the HD formats in the amp though as the player could happily do it for you... if you like the Pioneer go with it!

diggerbarnes

Standard Member
Thanks, I guess the HD sound thing was something I was wondering about in terms of future proofing. So its only the 875 / 805 that does HD and not the 605/705?

I want to avoid having to replace the amp a year down the line, it needs to last a few years.

norealplan

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I guess the HD sound thing was something I was wondering about in terms of future proofing. So its only the 875 / 805 that does HD and not the 605/705?

I want to avoid having to replace the amp a year down the line, it needs to last a few years.

605 and 705 do the HD audio formats too. I don't think 605 does Dolby Digital Plus though.

Good comparison of the Onkyos here: http://www.av-sales.co.uk/onkyo-comparison.php

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member

Yup, as above the cheaper Onkyo's do as well...

Your Pioneer wouldn't become obsolete, you would just have to rely on the player to do the decoding of the HD Audio and the Amp would just play what it receives.... people seem very happy with this at the moment!

I guess the Amp is likely to make a better job of it in the future though, but that's trying to predict the future, which is silly in this game!!!!! :)

jagr

diggerbarnes

Standard Member
Thanks.

No I have not heard it yet, I am going into the store on Saturday to listen. I have also been recommended Canton Movie 150 QX speakers to go with it

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom