Pioneer bezel scratched

M

marcw

Afternoon all

This one's for any owners of a Pioneer plasma with the piano black surround. My cleaner decided to clean my PDP435XDE with the harshest paper towel I've ever had the misfortune to encounter, despite being asked to leave the entire room alone and told before that if in there, please don't clean the TV.

Anyway, the upshot is that the bezel is now scratched to hell and I was wondering if anyone else had something similar happen with theirs and could offer any suggestions as to how I might get the scratches out or covered?

I've contacted Pioneer's Yorkshire service centre and they've suggested a new bezel, at a fairly considerable cost once fitting's taken into account - so I'm keen to avoid this. However, given the fact the scratches are bad and somewhat distracting when watching the TV on a light day, I'd like to get this sorted.

Yours sincerely,

Gutted of Sheffield

kjt2004

My cleaner decided to clean my PDP435XDE with the harshest paper towel I've ever had the misfortune to encounter, despite being asked to leave the entire room alone and told before that if in there, please don't clean the TV.
Never trust a job to other people when you can do a job better yourself

just envious cos youve got a cleaner

Could it be sort of french polished out ?

regards

M

marcw

Indeed, the trusting others thing was a lesson I've learned from this unpleasant experience.

Not sure about french polishing as I dunno what it entails, but I do know that the Pioneer bezel is less durable than an oak dining table... ;) What about some CD repair kit type thing to try and "fill" the scratches as it were?

7MAT

Novice Member
I think you can buy a kit to remove scratches from ipod screen etc.

Something along these lines might work for you.

Out of interest how much did pioneer quote to replace the surround?

You might even be able to claim this damage under your house-hold insurance policy?

M

marcw

The service company quoted £132.30 + vat for the surround, and £100.00 + vat for fitting. :rolleyes:

keefers

Novice Member
The service company quoted £132.30 + vat for the surround, and £100.00 + vat for fitting. :rolleyes:
Take it out of the cleaner's pay? Actually, if you can afford a cleaner surely your Coutts & Co. account can easily cover such a piffling sum? :rotfl:

Lil Joke.

K.

Alun

I have used autoglym car polish and t-cut on scratched cd's before with good results. Could possibly try that.

Ewoody

chaparral

I could do with finding something to take the fine stratches out my brezel as well....

Anyone ???

big rd

having seen what french polishers can do i would say it might be an option ,but i think the cost might outsway it.it might be worth checking though.as for any polish i think that it might be a real dust trap and need repeating to often to be practical.i think the new surround option is best.one cheap option that might be worth a go is a car option called back to black. for dash boards ect. it works well for cars and is not that expensive so if its no good you have lost nothing.try it in a small area first to see if it works. might still be a dust trap though.hope this helps.

markbigears

Novice Member
autoglym will do the trick if they are light scratches. T-cut is to harsh.

chaparral

autoglym will do the trick if they are light scratches. T-cut is to harsh.
I was thinking of trying some autoglym resin car polish myself..(i need to buy some more of this polish for my car/bike anyway)

purple52

Standard Member
We once had a gloss laminate kitchen worktop that showed up scratches like you wouldn't believe. I found that Brasso removed the lighter ones, and dulled the heavier ones to an acceptable level. Your plastic bezel might be softer than a kitchen worktop, though... I think Brasso is less abrasive than car products, but I have no scientific basis for that statement!

Is there any part of the set you can try these suggestions on before making the front bezel any worse?

karlmc

Novice Member
I've used the following method to remove scratches from plastic turntable lids and does a very good job:

Mix a small amount of brasso with the same amount of a polish such as pledge.
With a microfibre cloth, rub the compound into the bezel in straight lines. Takes a bit of work but the results are good.

Phil.LFC

I was thinking of trying some autoglym resin car polish myself..(i need to buy some more of this polish for my car/bike anyway)
Try some Meguiar's "Scratch X". It is great for fine scratches. Much better range of cleaning and polishing supplies than Autoglym, in my opinion.

Moviebuff

What about Duraglit polishing wadding? - used it many times to remove small scratches from various items in the past.

expedient

Standard Member
How about silicone based motorcycle helmet polisher? It is known to be quite kind to surfaces. I think I'll try it this evening because yesterday I noticed some minor scratches on my Pioneer.

Kev12

How about silicone based motorcycle helmet polisher? It is known to be quite kind to surfaces. I think I'll try it this evening because yesterday I noticed some minor scratches on my Pioneer.
I wouldn't put any sort of polish on it at all, they are all abrasive to some point. You will likely make it worse.

Dazmeister

I wouldn't put any sort of polish on it at all, they are all abrasive to some point. You will likely make it worse.
I would have thought something like Xerapol would do the trick as it is designed for taking out fine scratches in plastics.

Xerapol - HOME

Behold

Standard Member
Brasso and Polish and patients can take out heavy scratched. I brought a clear plastic to a glass finish that was full of scratches...

Dazmeister

Have you used that stuff Dazmeister? Let us know if it works!

Brasso!??:eek:
I have used the Xerapol for front of amp (plastic window) for previous second hand amps I bought and had good results, also used on instrument clusters. To be fair, not had the need to use it on the 5090 yet as the first thing I done after un-boxing it was to put a fine film of Super Resin Polish (Autoglym) on the frame and very gently rubbed in one direction with a quality microfibre cloth to remove. It has not attracted dust since, and still looks perfect.
I certainly wouldn't use Scratch X, that's way too harsh! As long as you're using a lint free cloth I would have thought the Xerapol would give a good result but as always, best to test on a inconspicuous area.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett