Pioneer BDP-LX91 problem

Apollo11

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked many times but I seem unable to locate much response.

I have a Pioneer bDP-LX91 which plays cds and dvds with no problems.

If I feed it a blu ray disc, it makes all sorts of noises and attempts to play but usually fails and displays 'unable to play disc' I presumed the blue laser diode had failed but the machine does play one particular disc sometimes - Avatar. This makes me think the laser must be working.

Any ideas? I do realise this seems to be a common fault which is a shame as when it plays, the quality is very impressive. It is running the latest firmware.

Richard

Sounds like the drive unit on its way out. How long you had this player?

Sounds like the drive unit on its way out. How long you had this player?

I bought it as a non working machine with the hope of repairing. Managed to get it to play 9 of my films last night so seems odd that the laser is faulty as I would have thought it either works or doesn't..

No chance of changing the diode, I dismantled the drive and it looks pretty much impossible to do. A new drive including service cd, service remote and shipping is close to £500 :(

Hi There
I know this quite an old thread but wondering I am about to purchase pioneer bdp lx91.

My question is in 2013 has the gap closed rapidly in performance of current Blu Ray players vs this model?

Im not really interested in 3D or Blue Live access, just quality of picture and sound! I will be using Pioneer SCLX83 AV Amp & JVC DILA HD950 projector.

If the gap has changed and today's models such as Oppo are better?
Is it by a wide margin? Or does the Pioneer BDP LX91 still hold its reference quality status?

I look forward to your valued feedback.

Hi Floyde, to be honest, the player is built very well and internally looks like it will last forever. In reality, I have heard of dozens of cases of drive failure so would not bother buying. I did a side by side test with my very cheap Sony bdp-S350 and I can't tell much difference between the quality. No doubt others will disagree but I'd say save your money and buy a more reliable player.

Richard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom