Pioneer BDP-LX88 & BDP-LX58

Well I purposely avoided talking about Darbee as that is another kettle of fish but at least it can easily be switched on or off or turned up or down as I saw when I had a 105D.
I guess at the end of the day whether a picture is better or not is down to someone's own personal opinion and we all see differently. I know other people like forum member EllisDJ have seen significant differences between blu Ray players, so it's not just me.
Personally I've gone back to the old 91 as it syncs well with my AV receiver and it seems somehow able to clean up some purple sparkle artifacts I was sometimes getting on my KRP-500A TV. Motion is smooth and lip sync is perfect which was not the case with the 450.
I've not got on to sound, but again I know you will say via HDMI they should all be the same, but I've found this not to be the case either.

Placebo effect is very real and very powerful.

my lx88 has started to do strange things, first when i power on at the mains it comes straight on instead of standby, second every time i power it off 5 mins later on it comes buy itself and thats with only the power cable in, third thing is when watching or listening to anything few mins later it will go into pause on screen then start playing again i have done reset and reinstalled 1.20 firmware so i have sent it away for looking at.

my lx88 has started to do strange things, first when i power on at the mains it comes straight on instead of standby, second every time i power it off 5 mins later on it comes buy itself and thats with only the power cable in, third thing is when watching or listening to anything few mins later it will go into pause on screen then start playing again i have done reset and reinstalled 1.20 firmware so i have sent it away for looking at.

Bad news, at least it is still under warranty!

Where have you found firmware 1.20?

If they are all the same in terms of picture and sound quality via HDMI, why have you got a £600 Oppo and not a £50 Sony/Panasonic?
For the additional features of the Oppo. I have a collection of video CDs which no other player plays.

If they are all the same in terms of picture and sound quality via HDMI, why have you got a £600 Oppo and not a £50 Sony/Panasonic?

My LX88 produces better picture quality than my Oppo 103EU ever did.

No doubt BigBoss will say it's merely the placebo effect! ;)

Not placebo, I believe this to be due to the fact that the EU model has undefeatable noise reduction, even in its 'pure' mode.

According to HDTV Test review of the 103EU:

"Like many players, 1080p BD titles are played back perfectly by the OPPO BDP-103, provided you have the noise reduction (and other similar controls) safely shut off. The player is delivered in this way, so is basically ready to go out of the box in this regard. OPPO should be congratulated for this: if you want to watch 1080p movie content without abstraction, all you need to do when you get the player… is do nothing (on the player end, that is)!"

According to HDTV Test review of the 103EU:

"Like many players, 1080p BD titles are played back perfectly by the OPPO BDP-103, provided you have the noise reduction (and other similar controls) safely shut off. The player is delivered in this way, so is basically ready to go out of the box in this regard. OPPO should be congratulated for this: if you want to watch 1080p movie content without abstraction, all you need to do when you get the player… is do nothing (on the player end, that is)!"

You can disable additional NR, but there is still a small amount of residual NR going on which cannot be defeated.

Hello, I would love to update my lx-58 to the latest 1.20 but I've found this firmware only at the japanese Pioneer's website... is it safe to use it and update the player? Thanks!

Hello, I would love to update my lx-58 to the latest 1.20 but I've found this firmware only at the japanese Pioneer's website... is it safe to use it and update the player? Thanks!
If you contact your local pioneer authorised repair agent they can update your player. I took mine in and was done by the next day.

Downloaded v1.20 from the Pioneer Taiwan site and updated my UK purchased LX-58 via USB from v1.19 to v1.20 at home no problem…

Downloaded v1.20 from the Pioneer Taiwan site and updated my UK purchased LX-58 via USB from v1.19 to v1.20 at home no problem…

I did that too using the firmware available on the Pioneer's japanese website...

Looking at getting the Lx58,can they be upgraded for multi region Blu Ray?
Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom