• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer BDP-LX70 - good buy?

snudge77

Standard Member
Hi folks,

Newbie here so please forgive any part of what follows which seems like idiocy!

I currently have a Linn Unidisk SC which is hooked up to a Pioneer PDP-42XD through s-video. Am feeling a post-Christmas upgrade urge...

I've found a Pioneer BDP-LX70 player for about £300, and am looking for advice on three fronts.

- Firstly, I don't know if anyone out there would be able to give me an idea of whether - relating to standard DVD picture quality - this is an upgrade. In other words, for playing DVDs will the Pioneer definitely offer me an improvement in PQ?

- Secondly, I understand that there are limitations in the featureset of this model relating to versions of HDMI and Blu-ray spec. I don't really watch any bonus features of DVDs - am I losing out on anything major here?

- Thirdly, does £300 sound like good value for this model? Aware that I could just go buy a PS3 or current model alternative from another brand...

Any help would be really appreciated.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi folks,

Newbie here so please forgive any part of what follows which seems like idiocy!

I currently have a Linn Unidisk SC which is hooked up to a Pioneer PDP-42XD through s-video. Am feeling a post-Christmas upgrade urge...

I've found a Pioneer BDP-LX70 player for about £300, and am looking for advice on three fronts.

- Firstly, I don't know if anyone out there would be able to give me an idea of whether - relating to standard DVD picture quality - this is an upgrade. In other words, for playing DVDs will the Pioneer definitely offer me an improvement in PQ?

- Secondly, I understand that there are limitations in the featureset of this model relating to versions of HDMI and Blu-ray spec. I don't really watch any bonus features of DVDs - am I losing out on anything major here?

- Thirdly, does £300 sound like good value for this model? Aware that I could just go buy a PS3 or current model alternative from another brand...

Any help would be really appreciated.

Welcome to the forum snudge77. :)
If your set on a Pioneer i would go for the newer model :smashin: profile 1.1 faster loading etc. (maybe the 51?)
PS3's an option if you fancy all the extras built into it sure. :thumbsup:
All the best.

malcolmk

Established Member
Welcome to the forum snudge77. :)
If your set on a Pioneer i would go for the newer model :smashin: profile 1.1 faster loading etc. (maybe the 51?)
PS3's an option if you fancy all the extras built into it sure. :thumbsup:
All the best.
When the 70 came out Pioneer put a rather unorthodox message on their website suggesting nobody bought it as it lacked too many features and a new model would be along in just a few months. That new model was the 70A. The 70A has one advantage over all current Pioneer models, it is DLNA compatible. In the unlikely event of being desperate for that facility well maybe buy a 70A but £200 top whack I would have thought.

I am about to off load my 70A on a friend for almost nothing because in my view it will be worth absolutely nothing within six months as newer and more capable models appear on the scene.

Also the disc loading time of the 70A is an embarrassment. Goodness knows what the 70 would be like.

Take it from me, KF's advice is good. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom