Pioneer BDP-LX58 or Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MrR, Jul 16, 2015.

1. MrR

MrR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Three weeks ago my Pioneer BDP-450 Blu-ray player developed a fault where the front display panel is no longer working. The player itself is working fine but the front panel is dead. I've taken it back to Richer Sounds, who sent it off to Pioneer for repair.

However RS called back a few days ago to report that Pioneer cannot repair it so RS are going to issue a credit note (as they no longer have any new BDP450's in stock, only ex-display or open-box models) for me to use it against another machine.

I'm looking into using the credit note against either the Pioneer BDPLX58 or the CA Azur 752bd.

Both of them tick all the required boxes etc., so its just down to which one produces the best video and audio experiences.

Any opinions would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks.

2. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    How will the player be connected for audio and to what ?

What type of audio source will you mainly use i.e. movies etc ?

What type of video source will you mainly use i.e. Blu-ray, DVD (NTSC ? PAL?) etc

Are there any particular features you need ?

3. MrR

MrR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    They'll be connected to a Pioneer VSX-922 via HDMI. I utilised the 2 HDMI outputs on the Pioneer 450 so that HDMI 1 was plugged into the TV (Panasonic VT65) and HDMI 2 for audio went to the AMP and I would like to keep that setup.

It will be used to play Blu-ray/DVD/CD & SACD's and network media playback capability.

The 4K up-sampling is not immediately required as I don't have a 4K TV yet.

The main requirements are to get the best out of any video or audio sources that I have.

Any network connections will be via a wired network cable to a 10/100/1000mb switch.

4. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064

A significant cost factor in the 752BD is related to the analogue circuit and associated Anagram DSP pre processing circuit for the DAC stage. These are separate circuits to the self contained primary Blu-ray player circuit. These don't apply to the digital output of the player and have no bearing on digital audio or video. AFAIK the 752BD uses the same Mediatek/QDEO design as the Oppo which means HDMI output 1 will always have some level of processing such as noise reduction applied. HDMI 2 avoids this and this and is the output I use to avoid additional processing on the Oppo.

If you don't need analogue and there are no specific features you need that only one player provides I'd save money rather than pay extra for analogue stage I don't need or processing I didn't want.

EDIT - Forgot to ask if your Pioneer AVR supports PQLS (Pioneer's proprietary implementation of of HDMI Audio Rate Control). The LX58 player does and this feature "may" help to technically improve HDMI audio by reducing time related errors but there are so many variables it may be inaudible.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015