Pioneer BDP-LX54 arrived today

innerscape

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up my Pioneer BDP-LX54 today, and I have to say I am very impressed so far, but I have to say that you need good eyesight to read the manual, It is printed in the smallest font known to man. No YouTube yet, firmware due soon.:)

Come on then give us more. Performance, load speeds etc :smashin:

is this a rebadged Sharp unit (like i understand the LX53 & 330 to be?) or a proper pioneer unit

Gary

is this a rebadged Sharp unit (like i understand the LX53 & 330 to be?) or a proper pioneer unit

Gary

Good point but I really don't mind who makes/badges it, all I want to know is, is it a return to form and worthy of the name? :rolleyes:.

OK, I have had the player a few days now, and hooked it up to my new Pioneer SC-LX83 amp.
I can only compare it to my BDP-51FD, and the difference is incredible in both sound and vision.

I have had a play with load speeds with 3 random BD titles.

BDP-51FD
Quantum of Solace 1m 21s
The Rock 51s
Braveheart 1m35s

BDP-LX54
Quantum of Solace 50s
The Rock 29s
Braveheart 57s

As you can see load speeds are much quicker, and a joy.

As for build quality it is as good as the receiver and is quite heavy for a small unit, I can only assume it is the armoured chassis. I am unable to test the 3D side of things as I don't have a 3D TV.

I've got an SC-LX73/83 on my Christmas list and the '83 is really tempting with the recent price reductions :clap:.
I just can't decide whether to partner it with this or the Oppo 93 when that appears :rolleyes:.

Hi all,
just brought the LX 54 :clap:- Setting it up now - will post results later

saarnold

Hooked up the LX54 to my Samsung 46 C750 LCD 3D tv - watched A Team on blue ray and must say it beats my other pioneer player (last years model 320) hands down; better backs,more detail, better motion and faster loading time.
Havent yet bought any 3D movies, but will post findings when i do:smashin:

saarnold

Hi saarnold

Could you try playing a CD as I can't get any CD's to play, it may be a firmware glitch, still waiting for the update for YouTube and iControl support.

Thanks

Hi saarnold

Could you try playing a CD as I can't get any CD's to play, it may be a firmware glitch, still waiting for the update for YouTube and iControl support.

Thanks

Hi innerscape,
my machine is playing CD's fine - a stupid question really, but have you connected everything properly, and double checked. The reason i ask is because i sold one of my other blueray players to a friend ( a Sony ) and connected it up, threw in a blue ray ( Ironman 2 ) - waiting to blow him away with the delights of HD ( he has just purchased his first HD TV ) - pressed play and ....!£@** NOTHING !! - i hastily went through the menu in the tv- tried everything - 20 minutes later when nothing eles worked i decided to check the connections - guess what - Stupid here had not pushed in the HDMI cable into the back of the tv far enough!!:facepalm:
Other than that i cant think of any other reason why it wouldnt work.
I tried to update via ethernet and the player was telling me that it already has the latest software.
Try speaking to the shop/store that you purchased it from as i am sure they will definately help - shops stocking/selling Pioneer machines generally have enthusiast working there that have better knowledge than the normal store sales people ( Currys/Comet ect ).
I hope you get it sorted - let me know how you get on - also if you watch a 3D movie before i do post your findings.
All the best :smashin:
saarnold

Hi all,
just a quick post to say that today i watch The Centurion and The Sorcerer's Apprentice, both blue ray, on the Pioneer through my Samsung 46 C750 3D tv and i can honestly say that it is the best picture i have ever seen on a tv - the colours were vibrant,best blacks i have seen on a LCD - equal to anything that i have seen on a LED and plasma ( i had an in store demo before buying on a Panasonic 50 VT20, 3D tv ). Prior to buying this player i used the pioneer BDP320 which was very good indeed, but this player is in another league - cant wait to watch a 3D movie :D

saarnold

Hi there,

It would be great if you could give us more details about this new LX-54 :)...Any volunteer for a complete review ?

Did you already have a chance to:
- Have confirmation that the LX-54 onboards a Anchor Bay BT2015 chip?
- Test the 3D rendering?
- Verify if the LX54 is a quiet BD player?

Thanks a million in advance!

Hi innerscape,
my machine is playing CD's fine - a stupid question really, but have you connected everything properly, and double checked. The reason i ask is because i sold one of my other blueray players to a friend ( a Sony ) and connected it up, threw in a blue ray ( Ironman 2 ) - waiting to blow him away with the delights of HD ( he has just purchased his first HD TV ) - pressed play and ....!£@** NOTHING !! - i hastily went through the menu in the tv- tried everything - 20 minutes later when nothing eles worked i decided to check the connections - guess what - Stupid here had not pushed in the HDMI cable into the back of the tv far enough!!:facepalm:
Other than that i cant think of any other reason why it wouldnt work.
I tried to update via ethernet and the player was telling me that it already has the latest software.
Try speaking to the shop/store that you purchased it from as i am sure they will definately help - shops stocking/selling Pioneer machines generally have enthusiast working there that have better knowledge than the normal store sales people ( Currys/Comet ect ).
I hope you get it sorted - let me know how you get on - also if you watch a 3D movie before i do post your findings.
All the best :smashin:
saarnold

After checking the HDMI lead was plugged in fully, and with no joy, I decided to hit the Factory Reset function, and CD,s now play fine, however in the process of checking blu-ray discs still worked after the reset, the player reset to Region A, and wouldn't load my copy of Flight of The Phoenix (2004) which is Region B, it would play A,B and C discs, so to get the player back to Region B, the power was unplugged and turned back on, the player rebooted and now works fine.
Not having a Region A disc to test, makes me wonder if this machine could be Multi-Region with out much in the way of hacking?. Would be interested to see if other owners with Region A disc's could try hitting the Factory Reset button?:)

I picked up my LX54 a week or so ago.

Does anyone know when Pioneer is supposed to post the firmware allowing iPhone controller and the DLNA/streaming functions?

OK, I have had the player a few days now, and hooked it up to my new Pioneer SC-LX83 amp.
I can only compare it to my BDP-51FD, and the difference is incredible in both sound and vision.

I have had a play with load speeds with 3 random BD titles.

BDP-51FD
Quantum of Solace 1m 21s
The Rock 51s
Braveheart 1m35s

BDP-LX54
Quantum of Solace 50s
The Rock 29s
Braveheart 57s

As you can see load speeds are much quicker, and a joy.

As for build quality it is as good as the receiver and is quite heavy for a small unit, I can only assume it is the armoured chassis. I am unable to test the 3D side of things as I don't have a 3D TV.

Dammit, no coaxial digital output, only optical...

Well, mine got delivered Saturday and connected to the Lx83 with single HDMI cable. Blu ray great, sound great. Music Cd's sound great but I am randomly getting a 1 sec complete drop in sound every three or four mins on some music CD's and less frequent on others. Doesn't happen with old Blu ray player as I tested with same CD's and never had this problem with other 2 CD/DVD players I own. Don't know if it is over sensitive to disc imperfections or what. Think it's going to have to go back. Anyone had similar problem or any ideas?

(Actually HDMI cable may go into TV - can't remember -anyway just one HDMI cable.)

Last edited:
Hello, I'm looking into buying the Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD but should I know be going for the Pioneer BDP-LX54?

Just spoken to my local Pioneer retailer and they are advising me to go for the LX52 as that is still the best model is this right?

Last edited:
Hello, I'm looking into buying the Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD but should I know be going for the Pioneer BDP-LX54?

Just spoken to my local Pioneer retailer and they are advising me to go for the LX52 as that is still the best model is this right?

I would think that your Pioneer retailer has some old stock that he needs to shift, before he starts stocking LX-54's.. remember the LX-54 is 3D ready and the Cambridge Audio and the LX-52 are not.

I have checked out Pioneer Japan and the LX-54 has already picked up a couple of product awards.:)

Well, mine got delivered Saturday and connected to the Lx83 with single HDMI cable. Blu ray great, sound great. Music Cd's sound great but I am randomly getting a 1 sec complete drop in sound every three or four mins on some music CD's and less frequent on others. Doesn't happen with old Blu ray player as I tested with same CD's and never had this problem with other 2 CD/DVD players I own. Don't know if it is over sensitive to disc imperfections or what. Think it's going to have to go back. Anyone had similar problem or any ideas?

(Actually HDMI cable may go into TV - can't remember -anyway just one HDMI cable.)

I still have problems playing CD's in fact it won't play some CD's at all, I am going to hold off sending it back until the Firmware upgrade, which I hope will sort it out.:rolleyes:

Ok gonna give u an update. I took my Lx54 back to Richer Sounds complaining that music dropped every 2 to 3 mins for 1 sec. They gave me a replacement machine no quibbles - good on them. Just tried it. Exactly the same problem. Music drops every few mins for a second then continues. Plugged in old blu ray that came with the TV (Panasonic - same make as TV - VT20). Sound noticeably not as good as the Lx54 but no problems with the sound dropping every few mins. Maybe the Pioneer LX54 is not compatible with the Pioneer sx83 amp, I dunno - unbeleivable. Seriously annoyed. Don't want to give Blu ray player back cos music is notably better but *** it keeps dropping every few mins. Only one cable so I can't have messed up connections and it is a top of the range £100 HDMI cable from Richer Sounds. Dunno what to do. Really annoyed. Any ideas?

Ok gonna give u an update. I took my Lx54 back to Richer Sounds complaining that music dropped every 2 to 3 mins for 1 sec. They gave me a replacement machine no quibbles - good on them. Just tried it. Exactly the same problem. Music drops every few mins for a second then continues. Plugged in old blu ray that came with the TV (Panasonic - same make as TV - VT20). Sound noticeably not as good as the Lx54 but no problems with the sound dropping every few mins. Maybe the Pioneer LX54 is not compatible with the Pioneer sx83 amp, I dunno - unbeleivable. Seriously annoyed. Don't want to give Blu ray player back cos music is notably better but *** it keeps dropping every few mins. Only one cable so I can't have messed up connections and it is a top of the range £100 HDMI cable from Richer Sounds. Dunno what to do. Really annoyed. Any ideas?

I think it may have something to do with the HDMI control on the Amp, all HDMI leads need to greet/handshake before they work properly, Panasonic use Viera Link and Pioneer use Control, if you turn off the HDMI control on the amp it won't try and talk to the VT 20 and just pass the single to the TV with out trying to control the TV functions (Volume etc...)
Another option is to connect an optical lead and assign this feed to CD, then you will have a dedicated digital link for CD.

Thanks, will show shop this post and ask what they advise.

Incidentally the guy in the shop tried to test it by putting in one of his CD's and he couldn't get it to load i.e. anecdotally confirming what Innerscape said a few posts down.

Last edited:
Only thing this should have is a hard drive on a website well known says it has a 1gb drive read my instructions now need to buy a usb stick.Not happy about that after all the money it was.

Only thing this should have is a hard drive on a website well known says it has a 1gb drive read my instructions now need to buy a usb stick.Not happy about that after all the money it was.

I was surprised it didn't have an internal hard drive, however I picked up a SanDisk 4g USB stick at my local Tesco for £10.00 not too bad!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom