Question Pioneer BDP-51fd to Sony BDP-S7200 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stone28, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Stone28

Stone28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I have a Pioneer BDP-51fd, which I have used probably 10 times ;-) - the reason - disk loading times. Wife can't be bothered because of that and I mostly use streaming services.

Anyway, I want to change the player to something qicker but nothing fancy as I'm on my Pioneer KRP-500A + SC-LX82 so 4k is not on my radar at the moment. Is Sony BDP-S7200 (I can see it's well reieved) in this case considered as an upgrade? It's years newer so I would think tehnology moved on since then and the quality is much better even in such a cheap player. I don't want to buy anything expensive as by the time I will be changing the rest of my set up, the player which I buy now, will need to be upgraded one way on the other.

It will be mainly to play my CDs and DVD for my daughter. Blu-Ray now and then.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Radek

2. Stone28

Stone28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No answer to the original question but maybe this time there will be something.

After reading a little bit more about it I found out that the Sony is not really that good for playing music (CD's) as it's not displaying track numbers on it's display. I presume you need your TV to be switched on which is pointless. I don't want my Energy hungry TV to bo on just to listen to music.

So what else is there which is 5* picture but also can work as a CD player?

Thanks.

Radek

3. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    well, i have a sony and am not overly impressed as have issues playing amazon prime.

Well nearly all modern BluRay players have 5* picture quality. So it's more a game of features and CD performance.

CD performance should also be good via HDMI as your amp i believe uses Burr-Brown analogue to digital converters. So again no need for expensive Analog outputs on your bluray player.

That leaves features and build quality to consider. A good option is the panny dmp-bdt460.

4. Stone28

Stone28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would DMP-BDT460 be better option than DMP-BDT-370? 370 is a newer model right?

5. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Yes, and a full sized player that I personally prefer... Review in this month's What HiFi but only for the purposes of basic information...