Pioneer BDP-51FD - Information?

MysteryMan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any news on when we might see this player in the UK or has anyone imported one and have experiences they can share?

Has anyone any news on when we might see this player in the UK or has anyone imported one and have experiences they can share?

I picked one up at BB last August.
It came preloaded with firmware 0.8 which I upgraded to 1.02 as soon as I came home.
Using it over the analog outputs as my receiver does not support HDMI.
Is there anything specific you want to know?

I picked one up at BB last August.
It came preloaded with firmware 0.8 which I upgraded to 1.02 as soon as I came home.
Using it over the analog outputs as my receiver does not support HDMI.
Is there anything specific you want to know?

I have a Kuro screen and am very interested to have a view od SD-DVD performance when using the 'direct source' or 'auto' mode (i.e. the one where it sends in native mode and lets the screen do the processing.

This sounded very attractive, but, some comments by ******** that the TV has to constantly ask "what signal am I being sent?" made me worry that this wasn't going to perform as well as I'd hoped.

Also, I've seen it mentioned that layer-changes are 3s! Is that what you've found?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am unfortunatly not in the best position to answer your particular questions as:
a. I do not have a Pioneer plasma (Panasonic here)
b. I only use my 51FD for BR, my XE1 still has the edge for SD DVD

However, some fellow members of the US forum have indeed indicated layer changes for SD DVD ranging from bearly visible up to a couple of seconds.
Mind you, the software for this player is constantly evolving so it is more than likely that this will be tackled in future updates (although I presume that BR compatibility is of higher priority on the development list).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom