Pioneer BDP 51FD( Amp needed ??)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kate37, Feb 1, 2009.

1. kate37

kate37
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

New to all the Home Cimema and needed a little bit of advice.

Just purchased a Pioneer 37" Kuro LCD tv and also a Pioneer Blu ray player BDP51FD. I would like to add some 5.1 speakers but am unsure whether I really need an amp.

In the back of the Blu ray player it had holes for speakers and woofer etc, so does that mean I can plug the speakers cables directly in the holes and not worry about buying an amp.

Haven't bought any speakers as yet. But think it would be nice to have surround sound. As I have just forked out for a tv and blu ray I didn't really want to have to buy an amp.

Please can you give me some advice.:lease:

2. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    The holes are phono ports for analogue connection, you can't connect speaker cable directly to them. Besides you wouldn't be able to control the volume.

To get surround sound your going to need an amp :)

3. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Hi. :)
    You can't plug speakers directly into the player i'm afraid,you use the optical/coaxial or HDMI out of the player to connect to an amp or soundsystem with the said Inputs.
    All the best.

4. kate37

kate37
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

thanks to you both for answering so quickly.

Can you recommend any mid price range amp and speakers that would complement this set up.

Thanks

5. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    What would be your budget if you don't mind me asking? :)

6. willharris10

willharris10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    How much do you want to spend? For 5 speakers and a sub and an amp. Mid range would be £400 for the amp (£300 discounted like the Denon AVR1909 at Richer Sounds) and the Kef 3005.2SE speakers £1000 (£850 if you shop around). This would work and I'd get yourself a Mark Grant HDMI cable off this forum to connect the Pioneer BDP-51FD to the amp with. Then use the cable you already have from the amp to the TV.

Sorted and just what you're after I'd say. Or is it a different price range you want?

7. kate37

kate37
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was actually thinking of a lower price range.

:cool: Thanks

8. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    This would be easier if you told us how much :D

Here's some more links for you, to the relevant Forum sections..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/all-one-systems/ You'll be able to find info on amp and speaker 'all-in-one' kits here.. You'll need a digital input for the audio from your BR player, Optical / Coaxial or HDMI.

Or if you prefer to get a seperate amp and speakers, normally better quality, but more expensive have a look here..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/integrated-av-amplifiers-receivers/

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/

:smashin:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  9. willharris10

willharris10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Well Kate, if you suggest a price range, we'll help you find something. Now this may be a bit of a new thing for you, I don't know, but for the speakers at least you could look in the classifieds section.

You should get the amp I've suggested, if you go the seperate amp and speakers route. Reason being that for the price it's by far the best thing to buy but more than that it decodes all the audio codecs which, importantly, means you only need one HDMI cable to go from your BluRay player to the amp. This will save you money, complication and sound great.

Ok so if you don't want to spend that much on speakers you could think about buying a set second hand through the classifieds. I'd suggest as a starting point the KEF KHT2005.1 or .2 (The .1 was the first edition, .2 the second etc etc). You should pay between £150 (.1) and £250 (.2) depending on how new and they'll be a good partner for the amp. Not as good as the 3005se but good enough if you don't want to spend much money. Now these are all "style" speakers and sound pretty good and look ok too. You could go for a set of traditional speakers but perhaps someone else can advise on what to go for.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009