Pioneer BDP-140 or Sony BDP-S380

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nsherin, Dec 28, 2011.

1. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm looking to buy an additional Blu-Ray player for my system. I've already got the PS3 set up with my Denon amp using DTS re-encode for movies in surround. An Arcam DV79 handles DVD duties (I prefer the picture quality over the PS3), as well as CD/DVD-Audio.

The new player will be set up purely for 2-channel use to listen to Blu-Ray music discs and for SACDs. Whilst I realise that a budget of £100 or so is going to have its limitations, I've narrowed it down to either the Pioneer BDP-140 or Sony BDP-S380 as both have SACD support. I'll obviously keep my Arcam for DVD-Audio/Video and CD use and my PS3 for Blu-Ray/gaming.

Of the two, which player offers the best audio quality - especially as I'd likely be looking to use the analogue outs, so that I can also record material down to MiniDisc for personal use.

Decent DLNA support would be good - I read that the Sony has a similar inteface to the PS3, which for media browsing, I'm not over the moon on. If the Pioneer has no limitations - i.e. number of folders and a better interface, then I'd be interested to find out. Potentially, new player could mean that the Mac Mini used for msuci/video streaming may not be needed any longer.

The Sony has a lot of information and reviws about online, but the Pioneer seems to be a bit of an unknown or dark horse. Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. Golfpunk

Golfpunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Found my 140 to be a bit noisy (disk whine) so if that is likely to annoy then go for the Sony.

3. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I think the 140 is a Sharp re-badge. I would go for the Sony...

4. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for all the advice. Having done some research and speaking to Pioneer, it turns out that the BDP-140 is in fact a Pioneer-made player rather than Sharp.

Given that it had a richer feature set over the Sony (DLNA etc.) and is on sale at £99 at Sevenoaks, I decided to pick on up today. The Sony was £99.95 at the local Sony centre, so both prices were similar to online ones.

Got it set up tonight - first off, it sounded a little rough via the analogue outs for SACD in stereo, but after a few hours, it sounds smoother, more open and detailed. Also got it set up for multi-channel SACD (over HDMI) and that seems to work well too.

The only niggle is having to toggle settings between HDMI and analogue and it seems power the player on and off before it ouputs audio through the changed output - although ejecting and closing the tray would probably do the trick. I haven't tried either since updating to the newest firmware - version 1.08, so it might be possible to toggle between HDMI/analog for audio with the player still powered on.

Given the price, I am very pleased with it - the build quality and styling is very classy. Remote is better than the Sony ones - more buttons, plus an actual eject button!

Will try the DLNA feature when I get a couple more network cables (out of ports on my current switch, so need to patch in a spare 4 port I have sitting around).

DSOTM is sounding pretty damn good in stereo via the analogue outs as I post this.

5. daveymcd

daveymcd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How are you getting on with the Pioneer? Its list of supported file formats seems impressive! (.ts, .avi, .m2ts, .m4v, .flv, .mov, LPCM (.wav), .3gp)