Pioneer BCS212 or Sony BDVE280 - which is best?

SpyInDaCamp

Standard Member
Reaction score
Looking to source a Blu-ray player, simplify my basic set-up, and reduce connectivity to TV, I am exploring single box solutions sub £300 with 2 x HDMI inputs. I figured the latter would allow me to accomodate both Sky HD and Xbox 360 with ease.

Obviously the inputs (above) and internal Blu-ray disc player will then feed to the screen (a Samsung LCD) via the HDMI output. I hope that the HD image will be handled and surround (5.1?) sound.

The two all-in-one systems I have shortlisted are:

Pioneer BCS212 and Sony BDVE280

My existing set-up is a five year old Sony DVD/VCR (crikey!) all-in-one with various scart, HDMI, opitical and RCA phone connections all over the place. I have to switch between four different imputs on the TV and fiddle around on the amp too. To be fair, picture quality is good (SKY and Xbox are connected direct), DVD is pretty poor (scart) and audio is, well, okay.

Both the Pioneer and Sony will physically fit my space requirements and the speakers are compact, which is a benefit too. I am a little confused by some threads that talk about Sky having to be connected opitically, for 5.1 audio, when I had hoped the HDMI would deliver the goods.

Any comments, help or experience with either the Pioneer or Sony is welcomed.

Last edited:
I am a little confused by some threads that talk about Sky having to be connected opitically, for 5.1 audio, when I had hoped the HDMI would deliver the goods.

You will need to connect sky by optical to amp to get 5.1, I wish sky would hurry up and implement 5,1 over HDMI, they are not helping my RSI!

Any comments, help or experience with either the Pioneer or Sony is welcomed.

Both are good but now they are similar price I'd get the sony, pioneer has a few niggles it needs fixing first and the online options from sony should be better, I haven't looked if this does but most sony blu-ray's support iplayer now.

Guys,

How do I connect from Sony BDV-E280 to play videos on the netwrok drive from my media server? I can't even see all the network names on E280.

Guys,

How do I connect from Sony BDV-E280 to play videos on the netwrok drive from my media server? I can't even see all the network names on E280.

Obviously cable it into the router, then search.................

Make sure the server software is running, and have any sign in details at the ready......

Obviously cable it into the router, then search.................

Make sure the server software is running, and have any sign in details at the ready......

Ethernet cable into the router [Checked]
PS3 Media Server Running on computer [Checked]

I can see my media server if I connect the Ethernet cable at the back of my Sony TV but when I connect the cable at the back of E280 then it doesn't recognise my network. Although all the other internet features in E280 system are working fine via the same cable

I would be tempted to check the PS3 Media Server settings, I am not overly familiar with them so cant really advice further, maybe try some other software or reinstall........

I would be tempted to check the PS3 Media Server settings, I am not overly familiar with them so cant really advice further, maybe try some other software or reinstall........

Do you know of any other media servers which are free to use on Windows 7?

Last edited:
Do you know of any other media servers which are free to use on Windows 7?

TVersity, Serviio

I would say that PS3MS is actually the beast when streaming to the PS3 and if you can get it working other media players too..........

try the others out, there may be more available..........

TVersity, Serviio

I would say that PS3MS is actually the beast when streaming to the PS3 and if you can get it working other media players too..........

try the others out, there may be more available..........

I don't have PS3, I used PS3 Media Server to stream directly onto either TV or home cinema system.

I worked fine with Pioneer BCS212, the only problem there was that it keeps forgetting the network which is to be re-established everytime 212 is switched on.

I will try TVersity and Serviio too and see if they appear on Sony BDV-E280

Does the Sony find the windows server OK...............?

devices will usually need to be authorized to access shared files, even if using third party software.........

for those that are interested, I have made my decision. Pioneer won the day for me, for several reasons, and will be picking one up later today - for a smidgen under £200. Bargain.

All I need to do now is decide whether I should improve the speaker quality...

I'll report back with my findings.

for those that are interested, I have made my decision. Pioneer won the day for me, for several reasons, and will be picking one up later today - for a smidgen under £200. Bargain.

That will be a good price for it, the only thing to check is connecting your computer with it. I had all the problems linked to it.

Hi mate! Where did you purchase from? Cheapest I've found was £229.

Have you not got a Richer Sounds near you? They are doing both Sony & Pioneer systems for between £200 & £220, depending on which system.
I myself, bought the Pioneer about 6-weeks ago and happy with it so far. Not tried out all it's capability yet though.

Anyone got multi region DVD playback enabled on the 212 ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom