Pioneer BCS-323 and Panasonic P50ST50 ARC problem

SUb97

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a Panasonic P50ST50 and last night took delivery of a new Pioneer BCS-323 surround sound system.

I've played a Bluray on the Pioneer system, and it looks and sounds great to me.

However, I want to use the Pioneer system for all sounds from the TV, not just Blurays. I have connected the Panny to the Pioneer via HDMI2 on the Panny, in to HDMI OUT on the Pioneer (as the manuals say for ARC) in an attempt to use ARC via HDMI. However, I can't get any sound out through the Pioneer system this way.

When trying this, the Pioneer defaults to ARC, and by going through Vierra LINQ I can see that the sound is using Home Theatre rather than TV. Equally, by pressing up and down on the volume control on my Panasonic remote, it is now turning the volume up and down on the Pioneer, and not the TV. But still no sound.

I'm at a loss now to be honest. I've done some research and some people hint at it might be an old HDMI 1.3 cable, not capable of transmitting ARC. But if that's the case, how come the TV and the sound system defaulted to ARC and the TV is able to control the volume levels on the Pioneer etc, if no signal is being sent at all on the HDMI cable.

My next steps were to buy an optical audio cable, and use that. But would I not lose functionality by going down this road - i.e. volume control of the Pioneer through the Panasonic remote etc?

I don't mind buying the optical cable if that's what I need to do, but am kind of frustrated that the new TV supports ARC, the new surround sound supports ARC, and yet I can't get them to marry up!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

KensSound

Hi,

I have a Panasonic P50ST50 and last night took delivery of a new Pioneer BCS-323 surround sound system.

I've played a Bluray on the Pioneer system, and it looks and sounds great to me.

However, I want to use the Pioneer system for all sounds from the TV, not just Blurays. I have connected the Panny to the Pioneer via HDMI2 on the Panny, in to HDMI OUT on the Pioneer (as the manuals say for ARC) in an attempt to use ARC via HDMI. However, I can't get any sound out through the Pioneer system this way.

When trying this, the Pioneer defaults to ARC, and by going through Vierra LINQ I can see that the sound is using Home Theatre rather than TV. Equally, by pressing up and down on the volume control on my Panasonic remote, it is now turning the volume up and down on the Pioneer, and not the TV. But still no sound.

I'm at a loss now to be honest. I've done some research and some people hint at it might be an old HDMI 1.3 cable, not capable of transmitting ARC. But if that's the case, how come the TV and the sound system defaulted to ARC and the TV is able to control the volume levels on the Pioneer etc, if no signal is being sent at all on the HDMI cable.

My next steps were to buy an optical audio cable, and use that. But would I not lose functionality by going down this road - i.e. volume control of the Pioneer through the Panasonic remote etc?

I don't mind buying the optical cable if that's what I need to do, but am kind of frustrated that the new TV supports ARC, the new surround sound supports ARC, and yet I can't get them to marry up!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks.
Still sounds like you have problems with the cable. The TV and the Pioneer are registering that they have something connected to them but the signal is not being sent. Borrow a 1.4 cable from someone to eliminate this, and if it doesen't post again.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom