Pioneer AX5i

AAH see, sounds cack.

. just give true 6.1, any how the thx ex mode enhances all 5.1 stuff to use the 6.1 mode already so this is no big deal.
i use thx ex mode for all 5.1 stuff and dts-es if its a dts 5.1 and the results ill wager will be better than dp2x.
Still one more for the list that dosent get used

Originally posted by Brogan
Just part of the never ending mountain that is known as "upgrading"...

September 02, 2003
Dolby Pro Logic IIx Launched
In an effort to keep ahead of the pack in surround sound technology, Dolby Labs is in the process of introducing Dolby Pro-Logic IIx. Whereas, Dolby Prologic II has the ability to extract a 5.1 channel surround field from two-channel stereo sources, DPLIIx has the capability to extract a seven channel surround field from two-channel sources as well as enhancing 5.1 and 6.1 channel surround sources.

:D Reminds me of that Voyager story where a manufacturer gets technology from the future but rather than release it all at once releases it drip by drip so everybody has to continually upgrade.

I sometimes feel I should have waited for a black 2900 to be in stock. I was told by the guy in Sevonoaks that everone wants the gold so that is what they try to keep in stock.
I now feel that the MACC should be the definate reason to go for a Pioneer, rather than a 3803.
Anyone know if the MACC is 'better' on AX3, AX5, or AX10. The AX10 is way over my price range although I've seen the non ilink ones for 1700 (graded whatever that means).

Now if I have no requirement for Ilink then maybe the AX3 should be the one? Help!!!

Originally posted by AndyDD
I sometimes feel I should have waited for a black 2900 to be in stock.
Now if I have no requirement for Ilink then maybe the AX3 should be the one? Help!!!
The AX3 is avalable in black where the AX5 and AX10 are silver only.

Originally posted by AndyDD

If I recall well the AX3 doesn't have an USB port or 'lip-sync' audio delay. Just go to the Pioneer websites and compare both models.

Originally posted by Sven_DP
If I recall well the AX3 doesn't have an USB port or 'lip-sync' audio delay. Just go to the Pioneer websites and compare both models.

Your right the AX3 does not have the USB/i-link/firewire what ever you call it only the AX5 and AX10.
I may have gone for this model myself but probably wait till the incorporate it.

Go here for the inputs on the AX3

And here for the AX5

Indeed, no component on the AX3, a very good reason not to go for it if you have or plan to have a 'good' plasma or beamer.

And yes, prices are starting to come down in Germany and Holland. No e-tailers in Belgium. :thumbsdow Lowest in Holland at 1.229,- €, that's about 872,- £ VAT included... :smoke:

Thanks all for the replies.
I've decided on a Pioneer rather than the 3803. The AX5 is £300 more than the AX3. I've already invested in a non iLink DVD player, combined with £120 worth of interconnects for SACD/DVD Audio. I can't see the real advantage of just switching multiple component inputs. The extra £300 can nearly get me my MJ Acoustics sub I've been wanting.
Basically if I see a 2011 I'll get that, otherwise the AX3. I still can't justify the AX5.

I do not know what area you are in but I was at the Manchester show today and they had the Sony 555 for £599. I do not know how it compares with this years amp and all the features but it use to be £1000 and won the award last year.

Thanks Garrett. I'm down in Kent but anyway, considering my sound setup problems now feel I should get an amp with auto delay/eq etc.
Wondering now if the on screen display is on the AX3 but if I use the mike to set it up I shouldn't be fiddling every 5 minutes throughout a film.

Originally posted by Sven_DP

The AX3 does have a audio delay facility like on the Denon 3803 to prevent lip synch problems with plasmas, as does the AX5 and AX10.

The only differences I've found between the AX3 and AX5 is the lack of firewire, double layer chassis construction, digital noise reduction, LCD on the remote, USB port, phono input, component input&output and 1.5kg of weight on the AX3!! :rolleyes:

Anyone know any news whats so ever about a hdmi compatible AV Amp/Reciever???

You would have thought that with Pioneer pushing HDMI with its new DVD players and Plasma displays it would have at least hinted at some new AVR's with HDMI????

What's the USB for? Or is that the iLink.

Agree on the HDMI amps.
If you connect the DVD HDMI output directly to the plasma HDMI input, you lose the only component/RGB input available for connecting to the amp (it is a shared input according to Pioneer specs).
The only option therefore is to connect DVD to Amp via component and then Amp to Plasma via component.
This allows you to switch any signal to the Amp via the component input - e.g. Sky+, PS2, etc.

I've rapidly come to the conclusion that HDMI ouput on DVD and HDMI input on plasma is pointless until HDMI amps are available...:(
Unless of course you're happy for all your other video sources to be connected by standard RGB scart, which would also necessitate a component to scart converter from the Amp...

Why have Pioneer done this?:confused: :mad:

Seems I was a little mistaken on the inputs.
AV3 is actually a component, HDMI and scart input.
So you can connect 3 physical cables to the same input although I'm not sure how input selection would be done...:confused:

Still be nice to have HDMI switching via the amp though...:)

Brogan,

Glad to see you've seen your mistake. ;) You select which input you require (Scart,component or HDMI) by a menu selection - not an ideal situation, I agree.

Steve

Brogan

Input on the pioneer panel is very simple. On the remote there are just 3 or 4 buttons that read, input1, input2 etc.
if you then go to menu there air simple menus to change input signal.

it takes about 30secs to make the change.
its a bit of a pain but is simple. By now i thought pio would of manage some sort of auto switching. ie it detected incoming signal and made the change.

I also found the AX5i to sound very harsh and thin. Just kept wanting to turn it down. MCACC mad matters worse.

I was even driven to digging out the SPL meter to see what things looked like! See below.
AX51 thread

Kind dealer (7Oaks) swapped it for a 3803, and I'm very happy with that.

I don't know exactly from which manufacturing date on, but the new DPLIIx format will be supported on the latest AX5i's. Apparently no upgrades foreseen for 'older' AX5i models.

For what it's worth... Sven

Pottsy, you mention the fact that you were getting shocks off the front and could even measure 110volts off the front!?! :eek:
I think you should assume that it was nackered and not that it was a bad AVR, did you not want to try a replacement??

Many people have the AX5 and think its great and although as has been mentioned many times, it has a different sound to the Denon, just as all different makes of AV equipment have different characteristics, I think its unfair to put down a piece of equipment on the value of one faulty unit, especially without trying a fully working version.

rscott,

No not really, because the dealer declared it to be fully working even though they did say that the Pioneer sound was always a bit thin... They used it in both their demo rooms after I returned it, in one the MCACC did a poor job and in the other it did ok. They let me borrow a 3803 while they found out how long it would take to get another ax5i (weeks it turned out) but within seconds of getting the Denon set up I wasn't letting it go anywhere!! Especially since it was cheaper... :)

The high voltage on the chassis is supposedly normal. I was getting small shocks because I was very well earthed.

In the mean time I've bought some M&K K-17's and K-4's to go with a B&W 675 sub, and I'm really very pleased with the way it all works.

Pottsy

Well if thats true then the AX5 certainly wont be getting my business, 110volts on the consumer side of an amp certainly doesn't sound like the norm to me?? :rolleyes:

Hello,

Were do you get the information from that de ax5i itself will be upgraded?
It's a shame that pioneer not have decide to include DPL2x in it first models.
Can i get a replacement or will pioneer notify this on their site, i life by the way in Holland.

Greets Ruwan

110v on the chassis certainly doesn't sound normal to me.
Think I'll fire off an email to Pioneer to confirm...

Ruwan,

At the VAD exhibition yesterday in Veldhoven the people from Pioneer Benelux confirmed that DPLIIx would be included on the AX5i, but not through an 'upgrade' as should be possible with the AX10i. So, I guess it will all depend on manufacturing date? Anyway, there's still no 'official' statement... grz. Sven

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom