1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer AX5i

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mystex, Sep 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just received (no pun intended) my new Pioneer reciever from LEconcepts. Wasn't sure whether to go for this or the AX10i, and I can safely say I feel I went for the right decision. It goes VERY loud and music sounds alot better than my old SONY 925. It's breathed new life into my CDs and music DVDs. The remote is big, but has everything there, no flipping down annoying flaps to get to other buttons. The auto calibirate thingy is superb, even the wife was impressed! DVD-audio and SACD sound superb, haven't got a DVDi player yet so unable to test i-link. The USB connection sounds intruiging, just got to get myself a suitable USB cable to test.

I use an HT1000 NEC projector with a 10 foot video lead so the audio delay is an absolute godsend, works really well.

The only downside is no video upconversion(I knew that before I bought it), so it's to Keene electronics I'll go for that.

Overall a great product and definatly warrants the upgrade from my 5 year old receiver.

2. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've just ordered one too to replace my Sony 930. I can't wait!! I just can't decide between a Pioneer 757 with ilink or a 565 now without and upgrade next year to the 757s replacement. I will need another DVD in another room then so the 565 would be perfect there........decisions!

Cheers

Dave

3. rjcowan

rjcowan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad to hear the amp is everything you expected. Alas the AX5i seems a bit expensive for me so I am planning to upgrade to the AX3i. any reason to push for the AX5. I have B&W 602.5's at the front, LCR60 Center and 601's at the rear. The dvd player is under debate with the possibility of the pioneer 656a being purchased.

4. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A week later and I'm still over the moon with the new receiver. I've now tested the USB port and it works really well with my laptop and XP, nice idea, though I can't see the advantage of using USB over the standard audio output. The only other advantage (as far as I know) over the AX3 are the firewire ports(or i-link). If you can live without this feature and the USB go for the AX3.

Which ever one you choose I'm sure you'll be well chufted!:smashin:

5. bingle

bingle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you first posted this thread last month but i was wondering if you would be kind enough give me an update on the performance of your ax5i. Im espeacially interested in the lip sync funtion. It seems like the receiver I'm going to purchase, I guess I just need some re-assurance before I part with my hard earned cash!! Aslo, whats video upconversion- or is that a silly question?!