1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer AX5i vs HK AVR-8500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ahh, Feb 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to have to bother you guys again, but I think that after reading various posts in this forum, I am about to drop the Pioneer and go for the Harman.

I am desperately seeking assurance, that this is not a bad decision. I mean are there any obvious reasons which I am missing out on by not going for the Pioneer?

Russraf? Dimmy? Any final comments?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    In terms of sound quality regardless of fromat encoding etc i think the HK will sound better, last longer and give you more pleasure.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Other than the seven channels of (inferior) amplification built in, I can't think of a compelling reason to go Pioneer. I am not sure if the AX5 has audio delay or video converson, but even if it had, I would choose an 8500's sound quality over a lot more than these features.

Russell

4. SonyES

SonyES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would definetely go for the H/K 8500

5. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I Purchased Hk 8500, yesterday from Spligsey, he is a top man. he came round to my house , set it all up.

He really does now his stuff, gave me lots of tips.

I have played a few snipets from a few films, I didn't realise i was missing out on so much detail.

I have demoed rotel combo at sevenoaks before, this knocks it for 6, I'm glad I see this come up for sale.

Go for it, By the way it is huge!!

By the way I big thank you to hornydragon and russraff, I'm glad I went for this,It has blown my other set up away. I did'n't realise upgrading would make such a huge difference.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were it my money, I'd go for the HK too.

7. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh
    The HK8500 is definetly better than the AX5i, but then again why would you compare these two together - the HK8500 costs twice as much as the AX5!!!

at £1800 I would consider the Denon AVR A11SR or the Pioneer AX10i - Both of them are superior and more powerful than the HK8500 and in the same price bracket.

I might be wrong - I am no expert - I have just noticed you are comparing the AX5 to the HK8500, so I thought I'd bring your attention to the other 2 alternatives.

Regards

Emad

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The difference between the RRP of the AX5i and the HK is £600 - not double.

I'd most certainately disagree with you RE: THe Pioneer & Denon top-of-the-line amps. Whilst their processing is perhaps an improvement over that of the HK, they're definitely NOT more powerful.

Have you heard any of the receivers in question?

9. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Dimmy is absoloutely correct.

Neither of these amps are superior in any way that matters to the H/K 8500. To suggest so either indicated a badly set up demonstration, or worse, an opinion based soley on the pricepoint of the amps in question.
    As has been noted, the 8500 does use older processors (though the 8500 does use advanced analogue Devices DAC's) but this doesn't matter! More important is the synergy between all components. This seems to have been gauged perfectly in the 8500 making is a very smooth, powerful and great sounding amp indeed. The power supply in particular is very well specified.

As a side note, the Ax10i isn't even close to the 8500 in terms of pure sound quality.

Russell

10. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My next question would have been to ask about the AX10i, but that has been addressed above.

11. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Ahh
    If sound quality with music and movies is important go for the h/k 8500 it is superb one of the best A/V purchases ive ever made bar my svs.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    PS the amp has loads of power the hulk of av receivers dont let specs fool you .

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    One reason HK look lowered powered is that they measure the power on very very tight tolerances! They also quote current levels (much more important than Wattages!)

13. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to throw in another spanner in the works, now that we are talking, what do you think about the Denon AVC-A11SR?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, 'cause I have not searched on this particular receiver.

14. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimmy - the cheapest HK8500 I could find in stock was £1700, whereas the AX5i could be picked up at £900 - to me this is almost double the price and effectively puts the HK8500 in the Denon AVR A11SR territory.

russraff - £1700 is a lot of money and I though Ahh should keep the alternatives in mind and demo the Denon and Pioneer as well as the HK using the same CD/DVD and same set of speakers and in the same environment and let his ears decide!!!

I did not base my opinion on price but on the specs of the amps in question - so give me my head back will you.

Ahh, my advice to you is - go and demo the Denon and the Pio before parting with your cash - If you eventually go for the HK then you would have made your decision with the satisfaction of knowing that you demoed the alternatives and did not like them.

Regards,

Emad

15. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Emad, you are talking a lot of sense. Now I need to find out where to go to demo all the above products in the same place. Any ideas?

16. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When I was looking to upgrade last year, I compared the Pioneer AX10i, Denon A11SR, Rotel 1066/power amp combo and their 1065 receiver and the HK 8500.

As soon as I heard the 8500 I knew it was the one for me. It is superb all round but it excells with music, especially in straight stereo mode.

17. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then you haven't looked very hard. The HK is available for much less than that. It's available for well under £1500. The Denon and Pioneer AVC-A1SR and VSA-AX10i aren't available for less than £2,000 (more in the case of the Denon).

You didn't say "let your ears decide" in your original post, you said that the Denon/Pioneer are far more impressive & powerful than the HK, which was and still is utter nonsense. What did you base this conclusion on?

Ahh - I don't think you need it suggesting to you to hear anything as expensive as the amps in question before you start buying. The Denon A11SR is a rather 'old' receiver. For power output it's not in the same league as the AVR8500, it's closer to the Pioneer AX5i in performance than the A1SR. If your budget is tight try a second hand AVR8500 - one sold on here the other day for £900. If there aren't really any constraints on your budget up to the price of an A1SR, then look at Pre/Poweramp combos.

18. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - Now it seemes you arguing for the sake of arguing and I that's not my cup of tea - So ........

My last post in this thread.

Ahh, Goodluck with whichever receiver you go for, and try Sevenoaks, they are usually helpful and will try and acomodate you.

Regards

Emad

19. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    emad - baseless recommendations with receivers costing in excess of £2,000 aren't fair on the person on the receiving end of such 'advice'.

Kind of like being sold the wrong product by a bad salesman.

20. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    ALL opinions on AV equipment are subjective.
    Therefore, the only advice you can give to someone is go and listen/see for yourself.

21. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I own the Pioneer AX10, which I got at a serious discount a year ago, because of the newer model with the i-links. I prefered it to many of the above mentioned options, especially the Rotels. I didn't try the HK 8500, which no doubt sounds better in stereo.

I found the (at that time) far superior features of the Pioneer of more importance than listening to stereo with two speakers. For stereo I use multi-channel playback, which sounds good enough for me on the middle-end speakers I already owned. I am very happy with M.C.A.C.C., which does wonders for my set of speakers.

I think the HK 8500 might be a wise choice, depending on what you want, but that there are other options with their own benefits.

22. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Denmark the HK AVR8500 is about 1000£ and the AX10i is at least twice as much. Actually the AVR8500 and the AX5 is priced in same range.

Also there is some sort of fanatism surrounding the HK kit in Denmark. Funny thing what happens to people when they buy an amplifier - they get sort of attached to it :) actually they are borderline fanatics

I would choose the AX5 or 3. It is very easy to upgrade with a seperate power amp at a later stage. Not even HK can compete with seperate power amps. Pre/pro part of the pionner is pretty much ok.