1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Ax5i or Harman Kardon equivalent?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ahh, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading some interesting articles on this forum about Harman Kardon receivers.

Untill now my mind was set on the Pioneer Ax5i but now I would like an opionion if a Harman receiver in the same price range / speicfications as the Ax5i is musically better.

Which H/K receiver would equate to the Ax5i?

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Ahh
    I would think that the H/K 7500 would be the receiver to match the pioneer,It can be brought for around 1100 quid you would need to buy power amps though to go 7.1 if you needed it. Another good point about the H/K is the logic 7 which to my ears sounds better than pro-logic 11.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that gonzo. I will dwell a bit further into the H/K amp and perhaps get an audition as well.

I had originally seleceted the Monitor Audio Radius speakers to go with the Pioneer amp. Do you have an opinion if they would be well matched with the H/K amp as well?

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I wouldn't class £1,100 plus the additional cost of power amps to get 7.1 as "in the same price range".
    They are 2 entirely different amps so an audition of the 2 would be the best thing.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Ahh
    Like brogan says it is a little unfair as the pioneer has 7 amps built in at the price,If you didnt need 7.1 for the little extra you would pay for the H/K you would get a receiver that is as good with music as it is movies.The monitor audio range would be fine with the H/K it is a very smooth sounding amp and i have owned monitor audio silver series speakers so have some idea .
    Cheers Gonzo.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    But a 2 channel power amp for surround rears isnt a lot of money and unless you have a Large room what extra are you getting from 7.1 now or excellent 5.1 amplifaction.

7. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a bit confused with hornydragon's comment. Could not understand the last part of your comment.

Ideally I am looking for a receiver, which would give me the best of both worlds, i.e. music and movies. If that means giving up 7.1 which the Pioneer offers, for the H/K for a better musical sound, it may be well worth looking into.

I do appreciate that a separate 2 ch stereo amp would perhaps be a better alternative (if I have understood correctly), but I would like to keep the number of boxes to a minimum.

Thanks for all your comments.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What i mean is "how much do you value 7.1 amplifaction, over improved 5.1?" If you are desperate for 7.1 the HK is probably not for you, If you want excellent 5.1 (with the option of 7.1 of course with a power amp) Then the HK may be for you, but you do really need to demo both, at home if possible.