1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer ax5i or ax10i

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by banyantree, Sep 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am undecided as to whether i purchase the ax5i or ax10i.
    Luckily i am living in Singapore therefore the cost of hifi equipment is much cheaper than in the UK but is the ax10i worth the extra money?
    The ax5i can be bought for approx 562 pounds and the ax10i for approx 1875 pounds.
    I want to buy something that is obviously future proof but how much better is the ax10i compared to the ax5i. I currently have a Yamaha rxv795rds. Will i notice a substantial difference with these amps.

I also have Pioneer pdp 43hdg and dv-969avi DVD player to team it up with.

2. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    go for the ax10 :thumbsup:

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Hi David, did you get my email?
    Have you managed to sort your HDMI problem yet?

About the only additional features that the the 10 has over the 5 is component up-conversion, DPLIIx and THX Ultra 2.
    Of course it does have superior build quality and 170w per channel instead of 100w but it's debatable how much better the sound will be and whether it's worth the extra £1,300.
    My advice would be to demo them both in stereo and multi-channel and see if you notice an improvement from the 10 over the 5 to justify the extra.

Try running the comparison on the Pioneer site to get an idea of the differences: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_overview.jsp?category_id=405&taxonomy_id=62-98

4. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks Brogan,

yeah got your reply. Still having more problems with the DVD player. Pioneer say they will get back to me.
    Just bought ax5i from a different dealer and they will setup and install it tonight and take a look at the player.
    ALso going to try out new HDMI cable since im using the one that came with the player.
    AX10i is just way too expensive.

cheers.