1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer AX5i - Help With Movie Modes

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by astirling, Oct 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What's the difference between selecting THX cinema and Dolby Prologic II modes? The manual isn't particularly clear and seems to lean towards the Prologic II setting.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Basically THX is a set of standards that are used in home cinema where as Prologic II is actually a decodeing format that creates the 5.1 sound out of a 2 channel signal, if i remember rightly you must select a decode format either prologic , prologic II or DTS neo 6 that THX will use on the receiver.
    Here is a link to THX

www.thx.com/mod/products/homeTheatre.html

It explains what THX actually does for Home cinema.
    I hope this helps alittle

John :)

3. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for that. But when watching a film I can select a number of modes which include (as you say) prologic II, prologic etc. etc. If I select any of them, when watching a film Dolby Digital or DTS will replace them on the display - I assume this is because that it is no longer necessary to use prologic II etc. with a 5.1 channel digital source.

However, there is still an option to select THX cinema and I'm a bit confused about what this does.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes DD or DTS is automatically selected because of the bitstream being fed to your receiver and therefore decodes that, but THX Cinema can be applied to that signal aswell, what it does is basically apply:-

Re Equalisation - The tonal balance of a film soundtrack.

Timbre Matching - it ensures seamless panning between the front and surround speakers.

Adaptive Decorrelation - It changes the time & phase relationship of the surround channels which expands the listening position of the rear speakers to give a better surround experience

John :)

5. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks!!