1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer ax5i firewire and ipod

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bingle, Oct 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. bingle

bingle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if it is posible to use an ipod directly with the ax5i via the firewire connection it has.

Also, does the ax5i come in gold? I thought it was just silver until I downloaded the manual and there was a 'G' and an 'S' model, yet i've only ever seen silver advertised. I'd like it in gold coz I have a gold Den dvd2800ii.

Ok,just one more thing,as u probably of guessed, i'm thinking of buying an ax5. Would the Mordaunt Short THX select package team up well with it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Only an opinion (so take with a pinch of salt), but I seriously doubt it. The firewire on the iPod is only used for data (transferring stuff to your iPod), not playback. It wont send an audio stream to the amp over firewire. And I doubt the amp knows how to talk to / control an iPod over it's firewire connection anyway.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong though ;)

3. hddvdman

hddvdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    somethere over there but not near here, there
    Ratings:
    +155
    silver only im afraid - but it rocks!!

4. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Does the ipod have a USB port? If so you can use that as the AX5i has one.

Call Pioneer Customer Services or email them!

5. bingle

bingle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks cwick, here's to hoping anyway.....the knowledge of this place never ceases to amaze me,cheers mate.

I don't think the ipod has USB,just firewire. Guess ill just have to use the headphones jack.

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    New iPods have USB, and a line-level output on the docking thingy.

Don't think that helps though - doubt that the Pioneer will know what to do with the iPod even if it's got a USB connection to. And what is that USB connection on the Pioneer for anyway ?

7. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It's for connecting a PC to it to allow audio playback through the amp. Haven't tried it myself, but it looks to be of some use. It's only 2 channel so it won't be that good for HC use, however if you have a PC with loads of music files then it's a bonus. I just wonder what the quality would be like, and don't like the idea of any system alerts blasting out through my speakers when listening to music! (they can be switched off though).

8. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The FireWire won't work with the iPod, they talk differant langauges. It's possible Apple could write a firmware that can talk to the Amp but I don't know if the iPod has enough capability to do it. Maybe in a future model. The Amp would have to provide power on the FireWire port to make it any use thou.

As to USB, not a chance. In the USB world you are either a slave or a master, for the Amp to work when pluged into a PC the Amp would have to be a slave (basicly an external USB soundcard, a very very expensive one thou ;) ). The iPod is also a slave so can only connect to another master.

FireWire is differant as each device can be master or slave so any device can talk to any other device, they just might not speak the same lingo! :lesson:

9. bingle

bingle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well now I know.Thanks for all the info. I think I'll probably still get the AX5i. Haven't really heard a bad thing about it, other than the guy that found live voltage going though the chassie, a freak happening I guess. Planet, would you recommend it to me?

10. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the info ailean, being taught something everyday!

I'd recommend the AX5i Bingle, certainly.
    I've no experience of the Mordaunt Short THX speaker package you mentioned earlier, but the the AX5i is THX capable so should be pretty excellent. I use the Mission M5 surround package and rocks with them!

Go to a shop that sells both the amp and the speakers and see if they'll let you plug in your ipod! Give it a good listen to and see what your ears think!

My AX5i doesn't suffer from the live chassis so I think he may have got a duff one or leakage from something else.

11. rlierop

rlierop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it a lot off all this information was written before the actual launch of the AX5i. Yesterday I connected my notebook with Windows XP via USB to the AX5i and it worked without any problems. The notebook was recognised as an audio card and the drivers to establish this connection were automatically loaded. It is my believe that the iPod should not act differently. If I read the specs of the iPod at Apple.com I might think that a connection over the docking station with USB should be possible. Has anyone already had some "hard" experience with this.

Ronald

12. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just not possible. In USB world you can only be a master (a PC or Laptop) or slave device (harddisk, soundcard, printer).

The iPod is a removable harddisk as far as USB function goes, the Pio amps are soundcards as far as USB is concerned.

If you plug a soundcard into a harddisk what do you get? Apart from a completely non standard cable to do it you have nothing.

I have two USB soundcards here, even if there was a cable in production that could connect a type A plug to a type B socket apart from smoke I wouldn't get anything. ;)