Pioneer AX5i Bass to low without subwoofer?

wiped

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've uppgraded from an old Sony ES AV amplifier to the pioneer.
I've set up everything correct with NO subwoofer selected, and then tried various settings for the other speakers.
The final setting i made was front=big cetner =small rear=big.

The problem i have is that i feel that there are to little bass when watching movies (it's ok when listening to music).

The indicator for the subwoofer channel blinks in the display but i don't hear that bass in the speakers.. Ok there is some bass but i feel that there should be more.

Compared to my old SONY it's a BIG difference, but that could just be that the sony adds bass do the pioneer sound is more true to the source? or?

Any comments or ideas?

If i change the EQ to have 3-4db extra bass in the front speakers and then add anohter 4 with the tone control it is .. ok, but should that really be neded?

Does this reciever require a subwoofer to be able to sound ok?
Can it be a problem with downmixing the subwoofer channel to the fronts etc? - YES it's set up ok....

The Automatic setup even lowered the bass response on my front speakers so it's strange....

I don't want to add a subwoofer.

Any pioneer owners that can give me their input ???

You're missing out on a lot by not having a subwoofer. Not many floorstanding speakers can go down as low as the majority of decent subwoofers.

If you definitely don't want a subwoofer for your setup then leave the front left and right channels set to Large but set all other channels to small and select NO SUB.

You really need a subwoofer to make the most of movies etc though. :)

So if i don't want a sub, perhaps a better pair of front speakers with better and lower bass should be a good idea?

Originally posted by wiped
So if i don't want a sub, perhaps a better pair of front speakers with better and lower bass should be a good idea?

Assuming you don't want a sub then that's your only other choice but you won't find many speakers that have very low sub bass extension. Personally, I would buy a decent sub instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom