1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer AX5ai video problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MikeFish, Nov 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I bought myself an AX5ai last week to replace my ageing Yamaha DSP-A3090.
    Although very pleased with my purchase I have a couple of issues with it.
    Firstly, when using the video up conversion (S-video in, component out) the picture is awful. It seems grainy and not disimilar to a TV with an out of allignment aerial. It not so bad that I think there is a problem with it, more like it's just a cheap conversion (reminds me of the £4 non-powered converter I bought to convert composite to S-video for my VCR years ago). Has anyone else noticed this?
    The other problem is the Set-up screen. If I go into set-up mode, the menu is has a massive flicker on my plasma (using component cable). However, the picutre on my projector is OK (using S-video). I will swap to the component & s-video cables over when I get a chance to see if the problems is the amp or plasma. Have I got something wrong here?
    Finally, whilst watchnig a DVD yesterday, the screen would have a very quick flicker sometimes between scenes (as if the source was changed for a fraction of a second). Also had a slight kink in the top of the picture at times.
    Can anybody help me?

2. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i can only comment on the setup screen , as i have all my sources directly connected to the plasma. when using s-video the picture does not flicker at all.

HTH.

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would definitly try some other cables and double check that they are all seated correctly in there sockets.

John

4. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.
    I took the component cable out of the amp and wired the DVD straight to the plasma. This flickering between scenes became less common but was still there. So it seems it's not the amp causing the problem, but it does make it worse! Now I'm really confused as to what it could be.
    The cable are really difficult to get on and off. I will double check the connections at the plasma end tonight. The amp/dvd end the cables are seated correctly because I swapped them over yesterday. I did notice a bit of copper wire (part of the shield I guess) sticking out of the bottom of the green RCA. Will try running a different cabl3e tonight to see if that helps. Do you think it could really be a cable causing the flickering?

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be the the Cableing but you must start with the basics 1st so try other cables and rule that one out for starters and if not, atleast thats one off the list.

John

6. steve fullam

steve fullam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    does anyone know about this problem? when the amp is on and in use with any function, lets say cd for now, if someone plugs anything in to another socket in the house or turns on a light the amp cuts out for a split second? i have tried another pioneer same model and it does the same. if i use my marantz amp its fine any ideas folks?

steve

:hiya: Steve and welcome to the forums.

Email deleted for your own spam free safety.

Dfour