1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer AX5ai - Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cibulnz, Aug 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. cibulnz

cibulnz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Hoping someone can help me.

Recently got one of these Amps coupled with the 868 and a 435XDE.
    Like another post I read, I am looking to bolster the Centre Speaker, due to the lack of voice when I have action scenes in the background.
    My problem is that I need an idiots proof guide on how to get the menu onto my Plasma screen - Sorry tried everything and the bugger don't work.

I have a Component chord, or an S-Video Chord, and plenty others I am sure but when I put it into Monitor Out on the Amplifier (there seems to be 2 of them, not sure which one to use), and then into the Pioneer plasma box various Picture related inputs, nothing happens. I try the various inputs on the Pioneer, not sure if it matters, but still nothing.
    I am activating the setup menu on the remote, and it shows on the remote yet never on the Plasma screen.
    Hoping someone will have the same combination and can help me.

Lastly just to make sure I am using this thing correctly I have for 868 I link on THX Cinema to cover DVD's, and then for Sky if its movies I will use the same THX Cinema. I find that if I am watching sport and a lot of other shows this setting and Dolby Pro Logic seem to convey an annoying crackle on the Back speakers. Is this normal?
    Is one supposed to have it set to Stereo for these sort of sound broadcasts?

Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the ax5, make sure you are using the top monitor out outputs. then on the display, make sure you are selecting the correct input. On remote press receiver then setup. It should work.

3. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would suggest only using THX Cinema for THX-certified DVDs, as it tends to remove a lot of the sparkle from regular audio. Your best bet is Prologic II Movie (my AX5 runs in PLII Movie almost all the time, apart from listening to music)

4. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I find the best results with dvd are by processing 'as is'; i.e. Dolby Digital (5.1) or dts depending on what's available on the disc.
    I only use PL II movie for surround-encoded 2 channel material.

5. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    So, you use PLIIx Movie for DD/DTS encoded DVD's? Weird.

6. cibulnz

cibulnz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Kobus, maybe I should have highlighted the word "idiot" in terms of I am still a little confused.
    At the moment my TV does not talk to the amp, given I have sky which has an optical connection for sound to any TV programs.
    So I am having to create a connection to display this information. The Monitor out (at the top) is a single plug, so I will use this. What kind of chord should I then use? And more importantly, I presume there will then be only one plug going into the Plasma Box. if thats the case which connection? With this connection in, how does one activate it to a particular input? Or are they already set? My DVD takes input 3, my Sky (via RGB scart) Input 1. Would I need to tune it in to work off another input?

Thanks for the help.

Also seems to be a bit of a debate in terms of settings to play DVD's and TV.

Nike - you mention the following:
    I only use PL II movie for surround-encoded 2 channel material.

What is this, how can I tell whether my source is this? Is it merely normal Sky TV broadcasts?

Also if not, what setting do people use for Sky sports and Sky TV?

7. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Ciblunz..
    There are two Monitor outs, the one required for your TV is the 2nd one from the top. You have two choices on how to connect this.. either by Composote cable, (usually a single yellow Phono-plug type cable ) or via S-video. The first thing I would do would be to connect your DVD player to your TV using either a composote cable or s-video to confirm that you can get a picture.. then remove the cable from the DVD player and connect to the monitor out on the amp.. Power up the amp and press receiver on the remote and then press menu also on the remote.. The set up menu now appears on the remote window and should also appear on your TV.. if not then you will need to speak to pioneer..

good luck..

8. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No - if PLIIx Movie is selected and a DD5.1/DTS5.1 track is encountered it automatically switches to DD5.1 or DTS5.1.

9. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Revival of an old thread ... but I have a question about the Pio AX5ai ...

How do I assign the different categories to DVD, SKY etc etc etc

After 2.5 years I have only just learned how to make the SKy's sound surround instead of stereo! LOL ...:oops:
    (just pushed a lot of buttons!)

Thanks!