Pioneer AX5 Auto Setup - Should I Correct The Subwoofer Distance

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by astirling, May 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +903
    Hi,

Just moved into my new place and ran the auto callibration on my Pioneer Ax5 amp. As per usual it thinks my subwoofer is about twice the distance from the listening position than it actually is. It consistently gives the distance around 6m where it's probably just over 3. Every other speaker is pretty much bang on. The question I have is that should I correct the sub distance on the setup screen? I'm thinking that it's a rear firing sub and if the microphone senses it as being 6 metres then maybe I should leave it at that. Is the sub performance or the acoustic setup of my room such that the sub must be set at a greater distance to compensate? Or is the sensing microphone just really crap at judging subwoofer distances meaning that I should correct it asap?

Thanks in advance.

2. malkit

malkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I think this is the norm for sub's and auto setup my setting bares little relation to the actual distance either.
    I believe this is due to the non directional nature of low frequency sound waves.The auto setup has calibrated the sound correctly so I would leave everything as it is.

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Conversely, I'd definitely consider changing it.
    But then, if you think the sub's in proper time, it may not matter.