1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Ax3i v Arcam AVr200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hi_robb, Nov 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi folks,

Fairly quick question for you all.

I've had my setup which consists of a Pioneer ax3i, Kef Egg 2005.2 speakers system and Arcam DV89 for about 3 or 4 months now. On the moive side of things I'm happy as the pioneer is great for films.

On the music side though I've always felt things sounded a bit too bright for my liking. I can hear every last detail in the music but it seems to be lacking something, I dunno warmth perhaps which gives it that nice easy listening quality.

I've had the chance to swap my ax3i for an Arcam AVr200 and I'm not sure what to do. When I bought my system, what I didn't take in to account was the fact that I mainly listen to music, tis only once in a while that I watch a film.

My question is this.

Is the Arcam likely to be any better suited to my needs. I've heard a lot of good things about the Arcam for stereo but is it going to be better than my ax3i?

The other things are this. I actually mainly listen to music using dolby pro logic II music mode as I like the surround effect on the sort of stuff I listen to. I do though use stereo though for Pink Floyd etc, considering this fact while the arcam be more musical and better suited to my speakers.

While I think on it, I also listen to a fair bit of dvd-audio, is this going to be any worse better on either amp?

Also, I've heard and read that the arcam is really shocking for watching films, just how bad is it?

Would appreciate a quick answer if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave

I once owned a Arcam AVR100 and I would say it was the best av receiver I have ever had for music playback. It was good for dvd audio as well.

One the movie front, it was not very edgy which is how some people like their movies to sound. It was more warm and smooth. I infact liked the movie sound of the AVR100, the best bit was it made any music in films sound great.

Anyway those are my thoughts and I have not heard the Ax3i so I can't compaire.

Regards

James

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Nothing wrong with my AVR200 when watching films - in fact I think it sounds rather good. Certainly as good as the Yamaha 630 I demoed at home last year and not far off the Denon 3802, so good stuff then. It will wipe the floor those two in stereo.

Perhaps Robb you need to look at your Eggs as the main culprit producing the harsh music sound? The Pioneer is on the brighter side of neutral, but with some good bookshelf speakers which produce a proper mid-range, you could well find the AX3 is better than you expect with CD's. That "something lacking" you hear is the music's midrange, which the Egss just can't produce effectively unfortunately.

I'd see the Arcam as really a sideways step and would recommend you change the front 3 Eggs for a more musical set. Demo some Wharfedale 9's, MA Radius, AE Evo3's or some Mission M3x's. :)

4. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Dave

Have you considered adding an ex-dem/used Arcam integrated instead of swapping the Pioneer? This way you get the best of both worlds. I used to use a Pioneer 2011 and Arcam A85 together with great results (B&W 600 series and also Kef Eggs).

IMHO the AX3 is better at movies than the AVR200 (though I wouldn't say the 200 was shockingly bad), the situation is reversed for hifi use though not by a huge margin based on a couple of demo's.

I would suggest an upgrade to the Kef Eggs is also worth considering, I demo'd the MA Radius - 270/225/90/Rel Strata 5 the other week with AX3/868 and felt it was a significant step up from my Mk1 Eggs. I am however seriously thinking about the MA Gold Ref inwall range as an even better solution.

Gus