1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer AX3 or Marantz SR7400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kaleb500, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a AX3 on order, but they haven't got any in stock. Was thinking about changing it for a sr7400. What ya reakon? Also does anyone know what the 'true' output of the 7400 is. I hear previous marantz were a bit under the claimed reading. And what about HK 330?

2. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't. You can biamp the ax3, is THX. It has a brighter sound and is a fine bit of kit. Manual is comprehensive and clear.
    7400 can get hot (no fan).

Wait!

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    We've run the t*ts off our 7400 and it only gets warm. It offers greater connectivity, PLIIx and a superb learning remote. Against this you have to weigh up the Pioneer's awesome auto setup and larger reserve of grunt (and the biamp if you want it). This is nowhere near as clear cut as bluesfan states- especially if stereo performance is important. I greatly admire the AX3/5 (there's even the danger of me actually buying one!) but I would advocate at least listening to the 7400.

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have the SR7400, and imho, it sounds better than the AX3.

The AX3 is a great Amp yes, but I prefer the sound on the SR7400, especially with music. The AX3 has THX, but the SR7400 has DPLIIx. I also did a back to back with a Yamaha RXV1400 which also has THX (albeit briefly) and the SR7400 was at least its equal imho.

Everybody has their own opinion, so take a listen. As for the unit running hot, I don't see any major increase in heat in comparison to other amps.

I think bluesfan is referring to the first batch of SR7400's which did have a overheating and sound drop out problem, but these were fixed and you shouldn't get that anymore. I certainly don't and have worked this amp hard since I've got it :):):)

5. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I thought the pioneer might be a bit bright for my small room combined with monitor audio b2 set up, thats why i am reconsidering. I have also heard the marantz struggles with lower impendance speakers. The b2 set up is rated at 6 om, would the marantz struggle with this?

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    No- it didn't struggle with our full 7 channel THX pack (so 2 pairs of 4ohm speakers on the rear) and neither did the pioneer. The MA stuff is pretty sensitive so I cannot see you having a problem.

7. nthornhill

nthornhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    however, the MA speakers are potentially quite bright in combination with a bright amplifier, so you are wise to contemplate a slightly warmer sound (like the Marantz) as a better combination.

Of course, you should do your best to audition both options....

8. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea i heard about the faulty batch of marantz's. The over heating was caused by an erroneus bios setting, and the dropouts caused by a fault with the chip, both now fixed. Shame though, i think it left a bitter taste in many mouths. I think i might go down my local sevenoaks, i would like to hear the difference between the pioneeer and marantz. The only trouble is they don't do the 7400, only 5400. Would this be close enough to get a good comparision, so that if i like the 5400 better i can then order the 7400 online (pioneer is cancelled). Or is there too great a difference between the 5400 and the 7400? Sevenoaks do the harmons as well i think.

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    i did sense a noticable difference between the 5400 i heard and the 7400 i now own, a slightly tighter bass, and improved steering.

The extra muscle is also very apparent. And DPLIIx really has to be heard to be appreciated :).

All that said though, the SR5400 should give you some view on how the SR7400 will sound, just remember that the SR7400 improves in all areas over the SR5400 incrementally, keep that in mind, and you should get a realistic representation. See if they have an SR5400 OSE version on demo, this should be a closer match for stereo performance too.

10. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get your from kazman. Was it AV land?

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yup, AVLand for £489, great service there too. Kept me informed every step of the way.

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    AV Land have upped their price on the Marantz SR7400. They are selling it for £549 now.

This months What Hi-Fi show Richer Sounds selling the AX3i for a bargain £579!! Are Richer Sounds moving back into high end audio again?!!? I bloody well hope so :):):)

13. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dunno if i can be arsed to demo. I might just buy it. i was also thinking of a karman, but the 330 (the equvilent in price) only has the 493 chip, the marantz has the 494.

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well, you won't be dissappointed, I think the SR7400 is a cracking amp. But, the AX3i at £579 isn't a price to be sniffed at, at that price, it has stepped up a few notches in my book.

The ONLY thing lacking from the SR7400 is THX specification, but, it sounds just as good as other thx select amps in THX cinema mode. I feel DPLIIx is a more worthwhile feature right now.

15. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The 7400 also has a rs232c port so it can be upgraded at a later date to any new formats that are released:D

16. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I'm watching Broken Arrow on Sky Movies 4 right now, using DPL IIx, and the amp is fantastic in how it handles the sound steering.

Long live the SR7400!!!! :):):)

18. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kazman - you'll be pleased to know that I bought a 7400 on the strength of that superb review of yours a while back, and it's knocked the socks off my old Yam 620. Only problem is that it's too big for the TV stand so I'm looking for a new one. Mind you, I've saved a few bob by not going for the Yam 2400....

19. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Glad you are enjoying your SR7400 mate. I hear what you're saying about the size of it, I had to place it on the top shelf of my rack.

It kinda leaves a big gaping hole where my old amp used to be though, so gives me an excuse to get another gadget tp fill it :):):smashin: