Pioneer AX3 and Dolby Digital 5.1EX Problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bish, Jun 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Some discoveries based around Dolby Digital 5.1 EX...

I have recently entered the world of 7.1, i have a Pioneer AX3, DV88+ and the Acoustic Energy 7.1 speaker set....all connected, all working and very pleased with it all (apart from the random audio drop outs on my dv88+ which are currently been discussed in another area of the forum). I was very keen to hear the extra channel (the 6.1) so dug out some DVD's which are supposedly, according to the box coded in DD 5.1 EX....well i dont think many of them are....First of all i thought it was a probelm with the amp as it was not recognising EX flagged discs such as Star Wars Episode 1&2, Austin Powers3, Monsters Inc...the list continues....The only time the amp recognises a DD EX sound track is with the region 2 version of Lord of The Rings - The Two Towers.

DTS ES is no problems at all, Gladiator, The Fellowship of the Ring (extended edition) all play fine and the amp immediately recognises the extended format...

I have the amp's surround back channels set to AUTO, in this mode the surround back speakers automatically switch on when the amp picks up the EX signal, as mentioned above this only happens with the extended edition of the Two Towers.

Whats the problem here then?....Is it a case of manufacturers not understanding the DD format and just printing EX on the back of the box, or for some odd reason is it my amp/dvd player??

Please help?

2. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I'd go with it being the manufacturers of the disc's. My amp does the same even though the manual says it should auto detect dd ex.

3. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    It's down to the disc having the DD-EX flag or not.
    I've got the AX3 too, yet it detects EX OK on Harry Potter 2 but not Harry Potter 1, even though both have DD-EX soundtracks.
    If it doesn't detect it, turn the surround back channels on if you wish.