Pioneer AX10i v AX10i-S

Brogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pioneer website has the AX10 listed as the VSA-AX10i-S but I've seen it advertised for sale as the VSA-AX10i.

Is there any difference in the models as the non S version retails for about £650 less?

Is the S a revamped version of the original non S model?

I believe the S simply denotes that the receiver's Silver as opposed to black.

Thanks Dimmy, that's reassuring.

So £2,100 would seem to be quite a keen price then......hmmmm <scratches chin>.....

Brogan, that's the price I'd expect to pay for such a receiver.

In high-end terms, it's a bargain :)

The "average" price I've seen it on sale for is about £2,700 so this was a bit of a surprise and hence my confusion over whether it was a different model.

Certainly seems like a good price for a reference spec amplifier.

I bought a Ax10iS/DV757Ai combo recently for the stunningly good price of £2550. And very marvellous they are too :clap: . That was Sound and Vision matching LE Concepts price. Neither had them in stock at the time I was looking (about 3 months ago), but S&V were a lot friendlier, so pre-ordered with them.

Andrew

That's a good price.
I'm holding out for the 868 as I want HDMI.
From what I can tell, the 757 doesn't have this and I figured if I'm going to buy all new gear I might as well get the latest spec.

Best price I've got so far for 504HDE, AX10i and 868 is about £7,900 so if anybody wants to match/better that, let me know as my pockets are on fire right now...:D

I'm failing to see the reasoning behind placing a HDMI output on the 868.

Doesn't this render the use of DVD players as we know them obsolete?

And - to my understanding - we don't have access to any HD DVD media anyway.

I thought HDMI was the next big thing in terms of video?
I understood it to be an improvement over component and RGB -perhaps I'm wrong :confused:

Even so, how does it make DVD players obselete?
How else would you play DVD's? Very confused now :confused: :(

HD DVD media may not be available now but you can bet it won't be long, assuming of course the format becomes widely accepted.

Can someone please explain exactly what the HDMI interface is for if not for DVD?
No other equipment that I have (Sky+, PS2, VCR) has this so it seems a bit pointless then?

Hi,

HDMI should provide a noticeable improvement in picture quality over analogue component due to the pure digital path from DVD to digital display. HDMI will also probably be fitted on next generation AV receivers and eventually, European HD sat receivers.

Steve

What I mean is, doesn't HDMI negate the need for Video DACS in DVD players, so basically all we need is a video transport were everybody to use HDMI.

Will the Video DACS in the tuner for the Pioneer Plasmas be of as-high a quality as those in stand alone DVD decks?

These are all things that - to me - seem extremely unlikely.

It seems to me like HDMI is a lot of money for technology which (considering High Defition DVD media isn't widely - if at all? - available) offers little over the current state of play.

Ah, see your point now.

I guess it's all to do with backward compatibility - a transport with no audio or video DACs is only of use to someone who has HDMI and iLink/optical/coaxial compatible equipment.

I wouldn't be surprised if equipment does evolve slowly the way you have suggested but not until HDMI and iLink become widely adopted.

Dimmy,

Why should the "tuner" (media box) need a video DAC for the HDMI input? The output signal is kept digital all the way to the screen down a DVI cable. :confused:

Steve

Isn't this HDMI thing the same as the DVI output one would use from a PC to an LCD monitor?
If it is then as long the player can extract the data off the disk it just needs to pass it on to the projector/plasma.

Seems now my Denon 2900 DVD player won't be lasting very long.:(

Well if my understanding is correct, HDMI output from the DVD player is pointless.
This is because my intended plasma only has 1 component input which is shared with the HDMI input (according to Pioneers spec sheet).

This means if I connect the DVD player to that input, there is only 1 other RGB input via scart which the Sky+ would use so I would have no other decent connection for the amp to switch all other devices (e.g. PS2).

Now if my amp had HDMI input then no problems but as it doesn't...

See my thread in the other forum for more details: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98590

Sorry - my mind's stuck in CRT world :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom