1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer ax10ais and m&k 850s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by benny, Jul 3, 2005.

1. benny

benny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi can anyone help, was wondering if anyone has heard or owns the ax10ai,
    and the m&k 850s, basically iam needing an amp for my m&ks, i have ss150rears as well at the moment they sound good but with my onkyo 898 or maybe my room is too live they are too bright in the dynamic range, when listening to the same speakers at my local sevenoaks(newcastle) with the lexicon reciever£5g they sounded awesome but the room is fully carpeted and deadened for sound, can anyone help?

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Just to clarify: You are looking to buy a Pioneer AX10ai as you think that there will be an improvement in sound quality over your existing Onkyo amp, reducing your M&K's bright character? I ask as it is a little unclear in your original post.

I have not heard the Lexicon amp, but I have heard, and owned (albeit an older model), Lexicon processors. They really are superb and I can only imagine what Lexicon's new inegrated is like. This quality, as well as the room you demoed the Lexicon in, will have a huge effect on how your speakers will sound. The Pioneer AX10ai, which is a more forward animal than I suspect the Lexicon to be, will not tame your speaker's bright character. With this in mind I would suggest the Pioneer to be a bad choice if you are trying to tone the 850's down. Unles, I suppose, you are going to use THX post processing? I say this as the 750's worked better with THX than without, tending to be less brittle (to my ears) but this approach is curing the symptom and not the cause. So would be buying a softer sounding amp like a NAD 773 or Harman/Kardon 7300 or rotel - whatever your choice, the fact remains that M&K speakers are bright sounding and I would look to replacing the speakers with something that works with your listening room (get a home dem of them, first).

3. benny

benny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    cheers russ thanks for that, yes you maybe right, defo too bright for my amp/room but great in sevenoaks room.
    thanks anyway.