1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer AX10 & 4mm Banana plugs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Oasis-GasPanic, Oct 21, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just got some banana plugs arrive in the post hooked them all up on the speaker ends and then to my amazment noticed they would not fit on the back of my AX10:rolleyes: . Got on the phone to pioneer customer relations/tech support and was told there is a way to "modify" the amp to accept them but they can't tell me as banana plugs are "ILLEAGAL!!!" in this country (I never knew that). So I thought never mind but then I saw this* picture which clearly shows all the speaker terminals (except speaker B) have been modified/opened. So can anyone tell me where or how I can does this modding.

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/vsaax10/rearlrg.jpg

Regards,

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Hi

You´ll probably find it´s just like the Denon amps and there are little rubber bungs in the speaker terminals. Just get a small screwdriver and pop them out gently. You´ll then be able to use Banana plugs.:)

Cheers

3. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Jase,
    Thanks for the reply, I know what you mean, but, If you have a look at the picture link you'll see the sockets for the left and right 'B' speakers are more "closed up" so is there any way of opening them up like all the other sockets in the picture.

Cheers,

4. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Apparently if you stick a banana plug into a mains socket you can kill yourself. This is enough to mean that you can't sell kit which takes banana plugs in the UK. There is a similar BFA connector which is IIRC 5mm not 4mm and can't be pushed into a mains socket.

You probably need to remove a small plastic cap from the centre of the speaker connector. You might need to remove the screw cap first.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Looks like a bung to me, just do a test on one of the terminals that you aren´t going to use (Speaker B maybe??) if you´re worried. Don´t think you´ll have a problem though. Just hook them out with a screwdriver.

6. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK jase I think I may have not posted a clear enough picure (my fualt, sorry). Basically I know a lot of Amps/speakers have "caps" on their terminals you can pull of with pliers or a screwdriver but the AX10 has these small pieces of plastic in the middle of the terminal which has a small hole throgh the middle (about 1mm so not big enough for a banana plug). In the image I have attached you can see on the left the terminals fully "opened" and will therfore accept a B/plug but the four terminals on the right have these pieces of plastic I've just described (due to the unclear picture it looks like their completly block out with caps but their not).

Cheers,

Attached Files:

7. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Er, why don't you take the pieces of plastic out then?

You might need to unscrew the outer cap first, but you should be able to just remove the piece of plastic.

8. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers RJW,
    I'll give it a go - hope I don't bust the thing, If I do I'm holding you responsible (only joking:D)

BTW - I'll have to try it in a couple of day's due to the amp currently being in Pioneer UK's workshop undergoing repairs!:( :( :( (I've only had it 6 weeks)

9. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Just curious, as a fellow AX10 owner, as to what went wrong on the amp?

Thanks!

Mark.

10. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Mark,
    Basically I was watching a dvd one evening and the amp gave out some almighty bass signal through my sub. I restarted the amp and it would only amplify an analog stereo signal. I was later told by Pioneer it was probably one of the proccesors had gone.

Regards,