Pioneer Ax-10i

sidicks

Ex Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me regarding the Pioneer AX-10i receiver:

My understanding is that this is a 7-channel receiver, but there aren't currently many (any ?) DVD's that are recorded in proper 7.1 sound. The current alternative is Pro-Logic IIx which takes 2.1 sound or 5.1 sounds and creates a psuedo 7.1 effect, but Pro-Logic IIx isn't available on the Ax-10i, only it's replacement, the Ax-10Ai.

I guess my questions are:

1) If I have a 7.1 speaker set up, and listen to a DVD in 5.1 or 6.1 mode, what if anything will be output from the rear centre speakers.

2) when 7.1 movies are available, will the Ax-10i have the ability to decode them or will I need to upgrade the amp ?

3) Similarly can you upgrade the amp to Pro-Logic IIx via the port on the rear of the machine ? If so how would you do this and how much would it cost ?

Thanks

sidicks

Is anyone on here running an Ax-10i with the Kef Q7 AV speaker package ?

If so, are you pleased with it ?

Thanks

Sidicks

If I have a 7.1 speaker set up, and listen to a DVD in 5.1 or 6.1 mode, what if anything will be output from the rear centre speakers.

If you select 7.1 as the channel output, then yes.

when 7.1 movies are available, will the Ax-10i have the ability to decode them or will I need to upgrade the amp

Well if 7.1 DVds become available then we'll all have to upgrade, since no current consumer product will decode this non existant format.

Similarly can you upgrade the amp to Pro-Logic IIx via the port on the rear of the machine ? If so how would you do this and how much would it cost

In theory this could be done, but Pioneer have shown no sign of providing this upgrade.

Bear in mind that the AX10i is THX Ultra2 certified and this is very similar to Pro-Logic IIx, in that it will 'create' centre rear channnels. It will only do this with 5.1 or 6.1 sources however. The AX10i can still provide 7 channel playback from 2 channel sources via Pioneer's own SX mode.

Originally posted by sidicks
Is anyone on here running an Ax-10i with the Kef Q7 AV speaker package ?

If so, are you pleased with it ?

Thanks

Sidicks

i run a set of kefs and am well pleased with them.(see below):thumbsup:

If the AX10i is THX Ultra II certified what is the benifit of Pro-Logic IIx.
Also can the AX10i be upgraded at a later date to incorporate the new facilitys.

Can you show me what kef Q7 are like, am getting the Pioneer AX10i and need some speakers to go with it, are these the Kef's that where on show at the Bristol Show.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom