Pioneer AVR Getting Sonos Muisc O/P to all 7 Speakers - Can't get sides outputting

chalk40

Distinguished Member
Evening all, hoping one of you smart folks out there can help me with a current AV wrestle I'm having.

Have an old Pioneer VSA-AX10Ai working a treat to 7 speakers and 2 subwoofers in the garden. Sounds mad but built over time and sounds great.

But I cannot get o/p to the side speakers of the 7 speakers. Can anyone help?

The setup menu shows they are there. I can tweak up o/p levels (essentially although a proper surround sound system, all I want is Tidal music from Sonos to 7 speakers) and the rears I can ramp up to balance against the front three L,C,R channels but zero o/p to the sides. Don't know why.

If I run a sound test from a DVD (say the Roger Waters DVD from early 2000's ... the Oregon Rosebowl concert) has a sound test and the speakers make a hiss when prompted. So cables and amp are working. But no sound when I play a Tidal track (or any streaming service) from the Pioneer to the speakers .... zero from the sides. Any ideas?

To get essentially stereo sound to the 7 speakers I'm using a 'Dance' DSP setting that sounds ok. I wander if that program omits sides?

The speakers are Evid 6.2's powered by the AX10iA. The sub woofers are B&W PV1's run from the AX10iA but split and signal sent via a Sub Cast wifi connection. Works a treat.

Appreciate any advice or experience you might have to make something that sound near great, actually great.

Many thanks in advance

Jase

Distinguished Member
If they're working when you check with the internal test tones and with test tones on a DVD/Blu ray then I'd expect it to either be a source issue or the Sonos doing something odd.

chalk40

Distinguished Member
If they're working when you check with the internal test tones and with test tones on a DVD/Blu ray then I'd expect it to either be a source issue or the Sonos doing something odd.
Thanks for the suggestion Jase. And yet works on all other channels? Is odd.

The signal from Sonos or Tidal or Spotify or Amazon HD is just stereo. As I understand it the DSP's on the Pioneer mock the stereo into multi channel .... but seems miss out the sides. Is very odd.

I think it's deep menu settings on the AVR but it's a deeper dive than I'm used to. 20 years with this thing and still not understanding all the options it has :)

Jase

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestion Jase. And yet works on all other channels? Is odd.

The signal from Sonos or Tidal or Spotify or Amazon HD is just stereo. As I understand it the DSP's on the Pioneer mock the stereo into multi channel .... but seems miss out the sides. Is very odd.

I think it's deep menu settings on the AVR but it's a deeper dive than I'm used to. 20 years with this thing and still not understanding all the options it has :)

Trying to remember the various options on an LX-75 we had but I think there was an all channel stereo mode. That should engage all available speakers so if it isn't there's something a bit odd going on somewhere.

I'll have a look and see if I can find the manual for the AX-10Ai and see what options it has.

Edit. Found the manual. Does seem to have quite a few modes including 5CH/7CH Stereo. If you press the Standard button on the remote you can cycle through them all. Do any of them engage the side surrounds?

Last edited:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Just to double-check. The side surrounds are plugged into the Surround Left and Right terminals and not the Surround Back Left and Right terminals?

Just wondering if they were reversed and the SB CH was switched Off that would explain the behaviour. Have a look at this page from the manual about the SB CH.

Screenshot_20210717-153108__01.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom